Need advice RPTV Elite or Mitsi

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott VanAntwer, Nov 17, 2002.

1. Scott VanAntwer

Scott VanAntwer Auditioning

Well I am getting close to putting the last piece (at least for a while) of my Home Theater together. I have really settled on two brands, either the Pioneer Elite or the Mitsubishi (i am not sure what their top line is anymore).
    What I am hoping for is real in home experience (or close to it), the pros and cons of each and any other signifigant info you may have to offer. I am a Direct TV user about 60% watching regular tv and 40% watching DVD movies. I have visited Magnolia hi-fi which has the two modles in the same room and the Elites seem to be smoother but also carry a much higer price tag. I would be willing to pay the higher price tag if it gained me something more than a prety cabinet. I have also read that matching the Elite DVD player with the Elite tv smoothes out the picture even more.
    I talked for a little bit to a sales rep but would like to know from you what I should be asking and what lies I should be warey of. Thanks for all the help in advance.[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

I don't have either, but I've seen both at my local electronics dealer. Now I know that box are out of the box with no calibration, but the mits just didn't look as good. The new Elite x30 series is coming out within the next few weeks and some are already starting to pop up. They are supposed to be much better than the 20 series from what I've read from those who have seen them. I would at least hold off a couple of weeks until you've seen the new Elites.

3. DavidMich

DavidMich Stunt Coordinator

Go with the Pioneer. Definitely.
    The Pioneers have the best "stretch modes" for regular TV viewing. The "line doubler" is so good in the Pioneers, that most people can barely even tell the difference when going to a progressive scan DVD player.
    If cost is a major factor, check out the "non-ELite" Pioneer models. Very small difference from the Elite series...most notable is the different cabinet. That is why they cost so much less.
    I was faced with the same dilema when purchasing. The Mits is notorious for the infamous "red-push" and may need an attenuator to correct it. The Mits will also need a full calibration to approach the picture quality of the Pioneer (even non-Elite) straight out-of-the-box.
    Check www.hometheaterspot.com for some really detailed information that is grouped by brand. It helped me alot!

4. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

Another vote for the non-Elite Pioneers. Same stretch modes and line doubler as the Elites are known for. I picked up my 64" 64HD5 at Costco for $2799. I really wanted the Pro720, but in the end, it was going to cost over double to get the Elite set. I couldn't justify being able to buy TWO of the non-Elite sets for the price of 1 Pro720.

Aaron

5. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

The line doublers in the non-elites are the pure cinema I. The current 20 series elites have the pure cinema II. The new Elite 30 series which will be out anytime use the pure cinema III. I also believe that the comb filters are different between the two sets. There are also various new features that the new elites will have over the non-elites.

6. MichaelFusick

MichaelFusick Second Unit

Both are excellent choices, tough to find fault with a decision to purchase either.

I see,

Pioneer having better cable and DSS picture becuase of better progressive scan upconversion and stretch modes.

Mits having a million features, including the anti-gare screen on the Diamond (711) and a built in HDTV tuner. It also has 1394, for connecting set top boxes and recording and playback with 1394 devices such as D-VHS.

HDTV would look great with both.

7. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

The new Elites also have the anti-glare screen, and two DVI inputs. Still does not have a built in HDTV tuner though.