What's new

Need advice regarding Sony XBR (1 Viewer)

Norm P

Auditioning
Hello, New to this forum and new to high def sets.

Been waiting long enough to see where tv technology was going, I decided to purchase a high def and larger set. I've been shopping for a new tv at the local Good Guys, Frys, and Tweeters, but have not been able to get a well informed answer on the difference between last year's Sony's and the new one's. Besides the memory stick (which I don't really need) and DVI (which I'm still not sure if it is a necessity or not), what are the major differences between last year's 700 series XBR's and the new 800 series, and are those differences worth while?

I've been looking at the new 36" KV-36XBR-800 and last year's 40" KV-40XBR-700. Both sets are similar in price. For my viewing habits, a 4:3 would be the better choice. The 36" XBR seems to have a slightly sharper and brighter picture and DVI, but I keep coming back to the 40" XBR which is larger and at a good price and falling. Not sure if I want to pay $3,500 (tv + stand) for the new 40" KV-40XBR-800, and the picture quality I'm sure would be the same as the existing 40" KV-40XBR-700. So, I guess it comes down to the DVI dilemma again. Is DVI just a bunch of hoopla about nothing? Any advice on purchasing a 36" KV-36XBR-800 or a 40" KV-40XBR-700? Thanks.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Norm, I am going with the 34XBR800 in a few months over a model without DVI simply because it gives a little better piece of mind. I have no idea what the digital connection of choice will be in the future, but I feel confident that having at least a DVI or firewire connection in your TV of choice should be the way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks