Need advice: Received Defective products (bought used)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Kevin_Breeze, Aug 21, 2004.

1. Kevin_Breeze

Kevin_Breeze Second Unit

I am having a real rough time here.

I bought this Cambridge D500SE off of ebay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWN:IT

I just got the Cambridge 500SEcd player hooked up (I was waiting for my parasound amp to arrive which I bought off of audiogon.com and just came yesterday) and the CD player is defective. It powers up fine but the right channel puts out static. Even when there is no music playing as soon as you hook up the cambridge random static comes out of the right speaker. I a/b'd it with my Pioneer DVD player, just taking the same cables from the cambridge and into the pioneer and the pioneer works perfectly fine with no static at all so I know it has to be the Cambridge and not the amp or anything else. I don't know exactly how you want to handle this, but the player was clearly defective right out of the box.

On top of that I also have a problem with my parasound HCA-1500A amp and P/LD-1100 preamp last night from here:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ran&1096735739

Everything was packaged beautifully. I mean it was like I was opening brand new stuff so that I was already wording in my head the positive feedback i was going to give this guy. Everything looked nearly new too. However one channel only puts out about 50% of what the other channel does (I switched every possible thing to eliminate all other variables). It has to be either the amp or the preamp. I will probably take these to parasound authorized repair shops today.

And on top of all this my HK AVR7000 receiver is in the shop too needing a $250 repair. Damn whats next, my speakers going to blow up!

Anyhow, how do you think I should approach this with the sellers. Do you think they should be obligated to do something. IMO, they should b/c both were defective right out of the box.

2. JasonLaz

JasonLaz Agent

You are damn right they should be obligated. Unless they were clear on the product before you bought it or they were sold 'as is' then you have plenty of reasons to demand some type of recourse on the sellers. DEFINITELY don't do anything feedback wise until you are satisifed with the results. That feedback can be a serious bargaining tool with someone who values their ratings on ebay or audiogon. If they are a new account you might be SOL though as they can just make a new one.

3. Kevin_Breeze

Kevin_Breeze Second Unit

the guy who sold me the Cambridge on ebay has a 100% rating with 33 feedback's. The guy on Audiogon had no feedback but he is a lawyer and seems as legit as anyhow could seem. I have his phone numbers and even a link to his company website (lawfirm) which has his resume and picture on it. He also included a copy of the receipt (per my request) which backed up what the ad said that he did in fact buy this amp and preamp new in march 01' I'd be shocked if he knowinlgy shipped it defective. the one thing I was thinking was he may not have known, b/c the back of the amp was switch to mono(this is my first amp, and I am assuming this is bridged mode for a single channel to power a subwoofer?) somaybe he never even had it hooked up in "stereo" mode to even know...??

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    What does the manual say? You may still have the amp bridged somehow? Call each of the sellers and tell them, see if they are willing to work with you and go from there.

5. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Kevin,

Did you see the tiny little L&R balance switch on the front of the 1100 preamp?

Have you tried adjusting it one way or the other to check the balance for the L&R output through the amp to the speakers? Was it set correctly to begin with?

Just a thought.

6. Kevin_Breeze

Kevin_Breeze Second Unit

Well I just got this email back from the guy who sold me the Cambridge:

kevin, so sorry for this inconvenience. please call me at xxx-xxx-xxxx and we can make arrangements on how to deal with this. i am certainly going to give my tech a speaking to, he did not do a good job.

Havent heard back from Jim, the guy who sold me the parasound stuff. i might have to call him.

John, I'll check the manual, but i hooked everything up every possible waty, and i got the same thing- only 50% output to the one side.

bruce, Yes it was originally set correctly in the middle. I have to put the balance at about 3-4 oclock to get the output about the same. When you turn the balance knob all the way to the left, the left speaker is MUCH louder than the right speaker when I turn it all the way to the right..

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

So there are such things as miracles...what could be next?

8. Kevin_Breeze

Kevin_Breeze Second Unit

I knew it wasn't this guy screwing me. I have been buying & selling on the internet for about 10 years and this guy was as legit as they come.

Anyhow, it turns out one of the "thx level" (gains) onthe back was not all the way down and the other was. I figured this out from Jim suggesting it when he emailed me back).

Should both of these knobs be turned all the way up or will that add distortion?

As far as the CD player the guy called me and offered to either refund me or pay to have it rerpaired. So I will take it to get it repaired and than he said he will pay for it.