What's new

Need advice : Projector + Console gaming (1 Viewer)

Hi

I'm a very serious gamer ( PC) , so I need some honest, no BS answers when it comes to the PQ of console games on the Sanyo Z2.

I don´t have any chance of using HTPC so I´m going to buy a console.

Now I´m looking for:

1) Input from gamers on using Xbox or PS2 ... and the best on Z2 is ...???

2) Your opinion about the PQ console gaming vs PQ HTPC gaming.

3) Other threads ( or sites) with good information about Projectors + console gaming.

4) General advice/opinions/suggestions you may find useful.

and the big question :

5)Projector + Console gaming : Does it look good ???

Thanks in advance

Edgler

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Personally not an LCD guy. Can't deal with the black levels and black level detail. I've got an Infocus X1 (DLP) and it's black levels aren't really good enough for me. But the size is worth it ! ! :D

My advice: make sure you have a good scaler in whatever projector you buy. I haven't actually seen a bad scaler in action with videogames, but even with the Faroudja in my X1 I still see some occasional weird de-interlacing artifacts - pretty rare, though.

Most consoles & console games are still 4:3 and 480i. HTF is very pro-Xbox, as it is a HT friendly console. They may have a resolution advantage there, but gamecube games are 480p at best, and most existing PS2 games (Even if you have a prog-scan capable PS2) don't do 480p.

Console gaming is awesome on a projector. Recommended games: 4-player Mario Kart DD --> Each person has like 27" of screen! :D . Ditto for Super Monkey Ball/SMB2.

Fighting games are awesome too - like Soul Calibur, Street Fighter, etc. You can see the tiniest details, twitches, etc that help you predict what is coming your way.

I play a lot of RPGs and Strategy games - back to playing Dynasty Tactics again these days...

I´ve read it that the main thing to consider with consoles is the limited resolution compared to a PC. This means XBOX games do not look as fantastic using a projector as a PC would with a high-end processor and graphics card.

So I ask:

Is the console PQ much worse than the HTPC PQ on a projector ?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks