Need Advice! Please help me build my first system! Newbie here!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Drew Stanton, Aug 2, 2001.

1. Drew Stanton

Drew Stanton Extra

Hello guys. This is my first post in this forum. I just found out about it actually. :)
    But I am posting in here because I am looking to build my first home theatre system. First let me tell you guys about my situation...
    I am working at Best Buy and just started, and once I get my discount I am going to be purchasing all my stuff from there. I am looking to put this in my dorm room, which is not too big. I am not lookin to blow the roof off the place or anything though, just lookin for a good sound that is above average.
    At first I was looking at those package boxed sets (reciever + speakers + subs), but after talkin to people I am not so sure about doing that. I am looking right now at the Pioneer VSX-D810S reciever. I hear they have a package deal that comes with speakers also, but I have yet to check into that. I am also looking at the Outlaw Audio 1050 Reciever. I have been hearing good things about this also, but don't know if they carry them at best buy. Again, I want to get stuff they have at best buy cause of my discount. After I get a reciever, I am lookin to get some speakers (obviously :) ). But at first I was giong to get those 5 speaker sets that come w/a sub, but again I am not sure anymore after talkin to people. But if I were to get those, what is a good brand to get? And if I was to buy everything seperate (Front speakers, center, rear 2 speakers, then rear center and a sub), which ones should I look at? I am definitely lookin at a 6.1 set, so it will be 2 fronts, 1 front center, 2 rears, 1 rear center, then the sub.
    I plan on hooking up my PS2, Computer Audio, and MAYBE a DVD player to this reciever. All this will be hooked to my Sony Wega 27" TV I plan to purchase.
    By now you are maybe wondering my price range? Well ... I really don't have one set right now. Reason being because I get a discount at Best Buy once I work there for 30 days, and from what I hear it is pretty good on speakers. Not sure, but sometimes its up to half off. So please feel free to post any suggestions in here that would help me out, preferably something that is at Best Buy since that is where I am going to be doing my shopping.
    Please give me any suggestions, it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again! Email me at [email protected] if ya got any questions or direct advice for me. Thanks.
    -Drew
    P.S. I have had some recommendations at to get the JBL NSP1 package, combined with the Sony SA-WM40 subwoofer, using all this with the Pioneer reciever I mentioned above. Best Buy carries all this stuff also. What do you guys think about this? Thanks again!

2. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Here is what I'd get in your college shoes:
    - 1 Outlaw 1050 - $499
    - 4 JBL N24-AW beer proof speakers
    - 1 JBL N Center Speaker(not beer proof)
    - 1 Adire Audio Rava Powered Subwoofer (demo unit) $369
    Use your PS2 as your DVD and just enjoy your new system! If you can afford a bit more, you might consider an SVS powered subwoofer. For the uninitiated, nothing is gonna impress more than alot of movie bass...
    Good Luck with your choices...
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc

3. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

I would add to merc's fine advice that the Outlaw will not be found at best buy- only avaliable from their web site. However, at $499 its at least as good a buy as any of the reciever's where you work unless the discount is huge.

4. Drew Stanton

Drew Stanton Extra

Thanks for the advice guys. Still lookin for some more opinions.
    Bump!
    -Drew

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

ummm...not sure how much help this will be, but here goes:
    with your discount, i would definitely stay away from the htb's - which it sounds like you're going to do. i know bb carries yamaha and pioneer. my vote is for the yamaha, but both receivers would be good.
    you should get a pretty decent discount on the speakers. when i worked at cc, i got mine for almost 50% off. if i were in your shoes, i'd think about two things:
    1. your dorm: since you're going to be living in a dorm, space is somewhat an issue. if you go with the 5.1 systems, you'll probably be able to fit all that stuff better.
    2. flexibility: you won't have as much flexibility if you buy the 5.1 setup down the road. buying separate mains/center/rears will allow you to upgrade the speakers one at a time, if you so desire.
    sorry i don't know more about what brands/models you carry. i usually don't go into the audio section too often...no offense but most of those sales guys drive me crazy! [​IMG] thank goodness it sounds like you know what you're talking about!
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    You step in the stream,
    But the water has moved on.
    This page is not here.