Need advice picking out a TV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DarrenCarrara, Aug 1, 2002.

1. DarrenCarrara

DarrenCarrara Auditioning

I am thinking about getting a TV for my mother and grandmother. Both are getting pretty old and don't have very good vision. Their current TV is pretty small and they have a hard time watching anything on it. Every time they come down and visit they joke about stealing my Toshiba 50H81. I would love to get them the same TV I have but I can't quite afford that.

The TV I get for them must be pretty large (>40 inches) and have a clear picture (but doesn't have to be perfect). Either a 16:9 or a 4:3 would work. Basically I think that the bigger the TV the better it would be for them. My price range is $1000-1200. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to the responses,
    Darren

2. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

First, bless you for being so nice to your mother and grandmother!

This is a good time to buy since the new models are coming out and you can get a closeout deal on last year's "latest and greatest."

I'd really go for price on this one, excluding demos that have been playing in the store all year.

Jan

3. Brad_V

Brad_V Second Unit

If they don't care about HD, which they probably don't, and you'd have to buy the HD receiver to go with it, and the TV itself would be well over $1200 anyway, two main choices come to mind:

Toshiba 50a61 goes on sale at Best Buy for at least $1299. That's $100 over, but the picture is outstanding. If you can find the 50a50, that's the same thing with less features (no screen protector, etc). I've seen it local for $999 in the past. Might be less now.

The 54" Samsung at Best Buy might be a winner. The focus is soft, but it's still a very nice TV for being so big and so cheap. Goes on sale there for at least $1199, and another local place has advertised it for $999. It also should be the same thing as the 54" Akai that Sam's Club might still sell for $999 or less.

You won't get HD for $1200 or less, but you can still get them a very nice BIG television. I'm probably going to get my grandfather one of the above pretty soon as well.