Need advice on TV/DVD widescreen compatibility

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Clifton S, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Clifton S

Clifton S Auditioning

I just bought a Toshiba 34HD82 widescreen TV and a Toshiba SD-4800 DVD player. I set the DVD player to 16:9 output and I set the TV to "Natural" aspect ratio (displays input in its own size/ratio). I'm using component connections and the DVD player is set to progressive.

When I play a widescreen DVD the TV stays in 4:3 mode, using big gray stripes down the left and right sides. The picture is letterboxed within the window box. I have to use one the TV's zoom modes ("Theaterwide") to fill the screen. I suspect that, by zooming in on a small picture, I am losing much of the resolution available on the DVD.

Shouldn't the TV show full widescreen for a 16:9 DVD when the aspect ratio of the TV is set to Natural? That's what the manual seems to say. I'm confused. Thanks very much in advance for your advice.

2. Ken Makela

Ken Makela Stunt Coordinator

Try "Full" if it's on that model. Full displays the proper geometry while natural is 4:3.

Ken

3. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Stunt Coordinator

I have an earlier version of this TV (34HF81). For an anamorphic DVD, the TV should be set at "full" which (at least on my TV) is option 4. Non-anamorphic DVDs would also be viewed at this setting if the DVD player "scales" the DVD, or at TheaterWide 2 if you want the TV to scale the picture.

SMK

4. Clifton S

Clifton S Auditioning

Thanks but does using the "Full" setting, which is just zooming in on the smaller picture, really use the full resolution from the DVD? According to the TV's manual, setting it on "Natural" will show full widescreen when the input is full widescreen. It's as if my DVD player isn't sending out a full widescreen picture, even though I set it to do so. Thanks again.

5. Clifton S

Clifton S Auditioning

6. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

If your DVD is "enhanced for widescreen televisions" or "anamorphic" (same thing), the FULL setting will fill your screen with minimal or no black bars.

If the DVD is just letterboxed, it'll appear letterboxed within the squarish picture area, otherwise known as "window boxed."

The setting for anamorphic/enhanced DVDs is FULL; the setting for non-anamorphic/non-enhanced widescreen DVDs is THEATER WIDE 2 which will zoom in on the picture.

Jan

7. Clifton S

Clifton S Auditioning

Thanks very much for your comments. I guess this means that the manual is just plain wrong!