Need advice on TV choice

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by William T, Aug 10, 2001.

1. William T

William T Auditioning

I'm looking for a good tube TV that will tide me over until I get a plasma at some later date. I'm not too concerned about the screen being flat if it doesn't offer too much of an improvement. I'll be using the TV with a progressive scan DVD player and video game systems like the Dreamcast and PS2, so I'm not sure what you recommend (do I need the squeeze feature?). I'd like to keep it as inexpensive as possible, but if something like Sony 32KV27 or 36KV27, or even the WEGA's are worth it, I would get one. Thanks for any advice.

2. William T

William T Auditioning

Sorry to bump, but does anyone have any advice? Thanks!

3. george king

george king Supporting Actor

What is your budget, and how big a screen. Samsung just came out with a 32" HDTV ready set that looks pretty nice, and also does the squeeze. BB sells it for $1499, but you could probably get Sears to price match for much less.
    Also, supposedly Hitachi is coming out with new HDTV ready monitors that should be in the same price range.
    Hope this helps.

4. William T

William T Auditioning

Thanks George. I'm looking for a 36" or a 32", although I'd prefer the 36" size. I'd like it to have the 480P component input for the progressive scan DVD player. I'll be using good old Time Warner Digital Cable in NY for my TV wathing. I could definitely go the direct tube widescreen route. I'd consider the Toshiba projection TV, but I'm concerned that my video game playing and cable watching would cause excessive burn in.

5. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

William, the 480p requirement means you'll want to look at the HDTV-ready direct view 4:3 offerings. This includes the Samsung TSL3295HF (Best Buy sells the 93HF which doesn't have as good a sound system or PIP), the soon to be released? Toshiba 32HFX71, the Sony XBR and HS models as well as the Panasonic CT-32HX41. RCA also makes an HDTV-ready direct view which Best Buy lists on their web site.
    good luck,
    --tom