What's new

Need advice on the "core", ~$2000.00 (1 Viewer)

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
I've been way out of the loop concerning audio hardware, for about two decades. Recently I've been cramming as much knowledge possible, but there's so much quality stuff out there, that I feel a bit overwhelmed, and I keep raising the ante, little at a time. I'll be building the system from scratch, so there's no need to over-concern about fitting into old existing parts.

Here's the picture:

The system will be used approximately 60/40, home theater / CD based music listening, with a very wide range of musical tastes. So far as sound, I prefer purity and accuracy over added coloration.

I've considered the following, but am way open to suggestions: Denon AVR-4306, and Sherwood Newcastle R-965. Also, I've noticed some intriguing set-ups in the area of power and pre-amps, from the likes of NAD, Parasound, etc., but that field is less known to me, having never owned separates. The AV receivers I've mentioned are both 7.1, but I have nothing against a solid 5.1 set-up. Your advice and knowledge would be most welcome!

Also...if it helps...I've been thinking about B&W DM603-S3's for the mains, and 600-S3 for the center. The speakers, too, are wide open to change.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
HI David

Please tell us what your budget is for the electronics? I have a feeling that if you get B&Ws you are not going to get much value for dollar with separates. Do you have any interest in HD DVD or Blu Ray?

Happy New Year

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
Sorry for the delay...holiday travelling.

I was a bit vague in that regard. The $2000.00 range alluded to in the thread title, pertains to the AV receiver and/or amp separates only. The system will be built over the course of a few months to a year. I have enough odd parts and pieces to utilize the new additions along the way, though not to ideal performance.

You asked about high-def video: I do have a Toshiba HD-A1, attached to a Sanyo PLV-Z4 projector (720p native resolution), via HDMI. Video switching via the prospective amp or receiver doesn't seem terribly important, unless I'm missing info about some great advantage. Besides...from the looking around I've done, eliminating that one feature opens up a much broader range of choices in the amp/receiver market.

Thanks for your response, and I'll be glad to hear any opinions you may have.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Hi David

If I was in your shoes, I would wait till mid-year and get one of the new Denon receivers...they will have HDMI 1.3 and the codecs for HD DVD and Blu Ray...switching is a nice feature...

I just picked up a mint condition Denon 5803A that is almost a work of art...some people are looking at mint condition Denon 5805s that can be had for around $3,000...they weigh 92 pounds and have just about every feature you can imagine including Audyssey speaker/room correction and 10 X 170 that can be biwired for 5 channel use...

Happy New Year

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Since you're waiting anyway I think you'd do best to wait 6 months at the least. The state of the art is in a flux right now, and until HDMI 1.3 switching and Dolby TrueHD decoding become standard, I wouldn't buy anything.

(Oh, how I long to upgarde you, S-video switching Pioneer AVR).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks