need advice on speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by London Lawson, Sep 7, 2004.

1. London Lawson

London Lawson Second Unit

i am not seriously into ht, just want best bang for my buck. this week im buying a new reciever, eith a yamaha, denon or okyno. i will be using it with my aiwa speakers that came with my old aiwa 5.1 all in the bo setup. even those those speakers are probably not wsorth a carp i am pleased with them. but if i could gt something much better for a decent price i would be interested. any suggestions?

2. Allen_N

Allen_N Stunt Coordinator

What do you consider a decent price? Will you be using this for movies or music? What type of movies/music?

3. London Lawson

watching tv, dvds and xbox.

4. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Energy Take 5.2/ACT6, Paradigm Cinema, maybe something from Gallo....there are alot of options for compact speakers...

And well for mini-monitors, there's always again, Paradigm, Energy, Axiom, Ascend...this is such a common topic that a simple search should bring up hundreds of results.

5. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

And I'm almost getting sick of saying it again and again, but ...

GO AUDITIONING!!! Go shopping, see what's out there. Listen to systems. Decide what you like and what you don't like. There's nothing worse than choosing your entire audio system based solely on other people's (contrasting for sure) opinions online.

6. Brian Elwood

Brian Elwood Stunt Coordinator

HOWEVER - contrasting Drew_W.

The problem is that for somebody that is relitive new to the HT area there is SO much to look at.

Having a hand full of names is always a help. We do not know that CSW's have a rep of breaking, or Bose has a rep for being trash.

My father-in-law has a Bose system that I think is AWESOME and I was about to go out and buy one also. See what I mean? bang for the buck it's trash but I would not have know that unless I heard so of you guys say it was over rated.

THUS - it's nice to have an idea of what is goo.

I in London Lawson boat. I have about $800 to spend to replace my current HT speakers. Yet - I do not know if the salesmen is just letting me hear what he WANTS me to hear or not.

I'm looking at Infinity, Klipsch, Polk and will go with what sounds best UNLESS hear something about construction or other things to worry about.

I think people are just looking for suggestions on what to look into, a foundation. Not a decision.

7. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Yes, but this is when the Search feature on this website comes into play. You should always form your opinions first though, then come back here and ask questions and read reviews etc etc. And the audio shops are not all high end either. You'll find tons of gear there at all price points. Some are geared towards certain markets sure, but the vast majority of them have something to satisfy everyone...

And because there is so much to look at...take pen and paper and take notes. Even if you think you'll remember, you probably won't be able to keep it straight...

Besides, shopping is fun. [​IMG]

8. Brian Elwood

Why have ANY new posts as I'm sure 80% of what we are talking about has been mention in the past!

I do agree - shopping is fun.

When I was looking for a bigger TV I was happy with a Sony 36 inch flat screen (or whatever it was). My wife said - why stop there!! Then we found a larger TV - WHY STOP THERE (I really love my wife).

Now instead of a "normal" TV and a stereo we have a HT. However, I took my Infinity bookshelf speakers and made them into Surround, purchased Infinity Middle and LR.

NOW after hearing my father-in-lasw Bose I feel I need to upgrade.

Is it possable to get a Bose sound for $800???

9. London Lawson

is it bad to mix and matc h a 5.1 or 6.1 setup?? should all the speakers be the same??

10. Brian Elwood

I would say yes - different speakers have different sounds qualities. That's why when I went from Stereo to Surround I purchased more Infinity speakers to go along with the ones I had.

95% of the time you would not notice but that one time you do and then you'll be always looking for it again.