Need advice on speakers and amp for $5000

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Pablo Abularach, Sep 14, 2003.

1. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

Hi,

A friend of mine is looking for advise on speakers and amp for a budget of $5000, but the problem is that he lives in England, so all the brands that I was going to recommend dont even know if they have buisness around there, so maybe some of you can help me with suggestion for him.

His room is 18x18, and he is looking for a 5.1 setup mainly, but could be a 6.1 or 7.1. He also only needs an amp, not prepro needed. He has 60/40 (movies/music) preference.

Thanks for any recommendations you can give me,
    Pablo

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    To name a few: B&W, Mordaunt Short, and Wharfedale are all British speakers, so he should not have a problem finding a place to give them a listen.

www.bwspeakers.com

www.mordauntshort.com

www.wharfedale.co.uk

Maybe he can check around for Indigo speakers as well. I heard them at a small shop here in the states, and I was very impressed with them.

3. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

Thanks John for the advice, I will tell him to start looking for this speakers. I know you are a mordaunt owner, do you recommend one in particular?

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    For MS, the 900 series is my choice. If he doesn't mind towers, the 908 (with built in subs) or the 906 should do. If bookshelf is preferred, 902 or 912. There is only one center in the 900 series. I am not familiar with their subs.

For B&W, the CDM and 700 series may push that budget a bit if he is looking for a really nice amp. Not sure if they are any less expensive in the UK, but in USD it would be close. I would easily recommend the CDMs over the 600 series though.

Too funny, I found a link to the Indigos...on a site called "American Sound" LOL [​IMG]

http://www.americansound.com/Indigo.htm

and a rather slathering review of them as well:

link

5. RichardHOS

RichardHOS Second Unit

There are too many various models of speakers and amplifiers out there to even begin narrowing it down much, but I will make one suggestion:

Split that $5000 budget something like $3500/$1500 speakers/amp... less than $1500 if he can find a good (even used) 5/6/7-channel amplifier for that price.

6. AllanC

AllanC Auditioning

[​IMG]

7. Jason.Soko

Jason.Soko Stunt Coordinator

Doesn't everyone build their system around their wires?

8. RichardHOS

RichardHOS Second Unit

[​IMG]