Need advice on speaker upgrade!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tony Meconiates, Jan 22, 2002.

1. Tony Meconiates

Tony Meconiates Stunt Coordinator

I "currently" have a 12'x10' living room with current equipment:
    Sony 36XBR450
    Yamaha R-V902 (90wpcx3, 35wpcx2, no S-video Out, no optical input, no DTS or Dolby Digital)
    Toshiba SD1600
    Bose 301's
    Bose VCS10
    I will be moving into a place with a living room that is 12'x 22' in August '02. I am trying to figure out how I should go about upgrading.
    This is the equipment I am considering:
    Paradigm Studio 20's
    Paradigm Studio 60's
    Paradigm Studio CC
    Denon 3802
    Panasonic RP91
    SVS 20-39PC or PC+
    Given my current living room size, I could theoretically do all the upgrades now except the rears (studio 20's). Would it be a waste to buy the 60's now and get the 20's when I move? Or should I get the 20's now, and then when I move, put them in the back and get the 60's then. If I get the 20's now, can I postpone the denon 3802 purchase and drive them with the current yamaha?
    Also, I have been hearing mixed comments about how much of an effect Progressive scan has with my particular TV, the XBR450 wega... will it make a difference? I have no means of comparison, but the toshiba sd1600 I got for $150 has a crisp picture w/XBR... part of the reason I want to upgrade to a better DVD is because I am currently running composite and I want to run component cause my TV has that capability.
    Also, is the 3802 overkill? Assuming the biggest speaker I get is the studio 60, will the 3802 be worth getting?
    I don't mind spending the money, but I want to make sure I upgrade my stuff in a reasonable manner that is not excessive.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated [​IMG]

2. Tony Meconiates

Anyone? I was hoping to get some comments on if XBR+Progressive scan makes a big difference

3. Paul_Dunlop

Paul_Dunlop Second Unit

Hi
    Why don't you run Component out of the SD1600 now?
    It's called ColourStream, but that's just Toshiba's name for Component Video.
    It looks better on my Wega which is a KV 27FS12 - it should look a lot better on your TV.
    Let us know how it works out.
    Paul

4. Tony Meconiates

duhhhhhhhhh...
    I never even looked to see in the SD1600 had component. I assumed since I bought it for $150 new, there was no way it had component. GO TOSHIBA!!!!!!!
    Well, I hooked up the dvd player with components, and to be quite honest, I cannot tell the difference [​IMG] I was hoping for noticable change since I went from composite ---> receiver ---> TV to component--->TV
    I have also been reconsidering the question of whether I want to go with 40's or 60's in the front... Will I be able to take take advantage of the 60's given a room of my size?
    If I go with the 40/20/CC setup, can I swing it with a 2802 instead of a getting a 3802? Or would I want the wattage of the 3802 because that is the only difference for me. If this makes a difference, I would have no speaker upgrade plans for about 10 years

5. John Brunner

John Brunner Extra

Tony, IMO the size room you are using now is almost perfect for all the effects you will get from 5.1. Bigger/more expensive is not always better. Sometimes, especially with a 22' room you loose the intimacy and adventure. If you can cut your listening area in 1/2 I believe you would be better off. If you use the whole 22' you definitely have to turn the gain up on the fronts to compensate for the distance. Also, the further away the bigger screen you should have. Just my opinion and thanks

6. Tony Meconiates

Over the last couple days, I pulled the trigger on the upgrade, here is what I am getting:

Paradigm Studio 40's in Rosenut Veneer with matching Premier J stands

Paradigm Studio CC

Paradigm PW-2200

Denon 3300

In August, I will add a pair of Studio 20's in Rosenut veneer on the taller J stands...

I am psyched !!!!!!!!!!11