What's new

Need advice on short list of HT components (1 Viewer)

elay

Auditioning
Advice please for another HT newbie. I've done the following comparison research in the hope of making a wisest purchase.

I'm looking to accomplish the following:
* Enjoy music (jazz, disco, hip hop) and dvd movies alike. A fan of bass, but not boomy sound.
* Satisfy a 14' x 15' room of a loft condo with hardwood floors. In case it matters, one glass side wall is 18' floor to ceiling. The glass side wall is 5' away from a 4' wall in the upper floor.
* To preserve floor space, a wall mountable rear surround speakers is preferable.
* Need a complimentary set of speakers to complement my existing KEF Coda 8 speakers, which will be used as the front main speakers.

The following choices meet my budget (CND$):
RECEIVER: Denon 1802 ($799.00) vs. Yamaha RX-V630 ($799.00). The 6.1 channel on the V630 is a nice to have.
DVD: Panasonic RV-32($280.00)
CENTRE SPKR: Mission M7C2 ($399.00) vs Boston CRC ($300.00)
REAR SPKR: Mission M70 ($229.00) vs Boston CR65 ($300.00)
SUB SPKR: Def Tech P580 ($450.00) vs Paradigm PDR-10 ($420.00) vs. Mission 70ASA ($349.00) vs. Velodyne CHT-8 ($650.00). Definitely need help on the subwf.

One store is offering a package dealer consisting of the following: Denon 1602, Panasonci DVD RV32, and Energy Take 5.2 for $1999.99. I've read a lot of good things about the Energy Take speakers. The satelite size is ideal but I am concerned about underpowering my room or if it will not deliver what I need musically. Also, although Denon 1602 sounds ok, I prefer the 1802s. If you feel that I'm underestimating the Energy speakers, will the right receiver/dvd combo do the trick?

Thanks in advance to all.

Mike Matheson

Second Unit
elay,

Welcome to the forum.

Sub-wise, if your budget is up to around $500 I think you could do better with the Hsu VTF-2 or (better yet) the SVS 25-31PCi (on sale for $499 right now).

You also might wish to budget for a surge protector, an A/V setup disk (such as Avia or Video Essentials), and decently-built interconnects (lots of suggestions posted in previous threads here at HTF).

What will your display unit be?

Regards,

Mike

Mike Matheson

Second Unit
Oops! Sorry elay! Missed that you were posting in CND$!

I'm not sure how much the Hsu or SVS costs by the time you would get them in Canada. . .

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
Two things come to mind. You should not be considering ANY center channel other than KEF. Timbre matching across the front soundstage is critical. Another manufacturers speaker in the center is a guaranteed miss.

Secondly, your room will be extremely bright sounding. The glass wall is the worst possible thing you can have for accurate sound. The hardwood floor is just as problematic but can be treated with a rug to cure the floor problem. The glass wall is another matter entirely. Good luck.

elay

Auditioning
Thanks Mike for the welcome. Did not know what an HSU is so I researched to learn more. Good reviews but I could not find a retailer in Toronto that sells them + they are bit more than what my budget asks for.

Thanks Dustin, your feedback on the PDR10 price is noted. I will attempt to haggle for a better price. I will look into the Adire Rava as well. After all, Creative Sounds is a drive away.

Thanks Bill, I did check into the KEF centre spkr matchup to satisfy the timbre matching requirement, but I could not find a place that sells KEFs. When shopping around, I raised the timbre matching issue, and the choices recommended was said to satisfy this requirement. If the timbre matching is critical, shoud I ditch the KEFs and purchase new mains. Regarding the wall and floor, I did not realize them as an issue; if anything, I thought that they enchance the acoustins. Was that your thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks