Need Advice on Satellite TV Options

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lee Scoggins, Nov 7, 2002.

1. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Hey friends,
    I could use your help. I just moved into a beautiful new home and I am considering my TV provider options...
    1. Should I get a satellite dish? what are the pros and cons?
    2. Some of my friends actually like cable since they feel thunderstorms usually don't knock it out unlike dish-based systems. Is this a fair statement?
    3. What has the best video quality?
    4. Who's the best satellite provider in terms of both quality and content?
    I know lots of this has probably been covered, but some basic info would go a long way for me.
    Thanks so much for your advice! [​IMG]

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

All this depends on a lot of conditions that you have not yet stated.

For example is HD important to you or are you happy with SD? What does your local cable company provide? Do you qualify for receiving local channels via satellite? Etc.

Many have found that telecast quality over cable is inferior to OTA or satellite. This really depends on your local cable company.

In general Dish and DirectTV are pretty much of a muchness. The way the package their offering is slightly different, but you pretty much get the same with both.

There are a few special offering provided by DirectTV, mostly around sports. If you are interested in HD, both only offer HBOHD and Showtime HD. DirectTV currently has HDNET and Dish has Discovery HD.

As far as thunderstorms, I have had about 5 minutes of outage this year, on my DirectTV setup. I do not consider that excessive.

3. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Lew,

Good questions, let's see...

1. I do qualify for local channels over satellite.

2. HD is moderately important, but SD is the prime thing.

3. Local cable provider I don't think offers HD at all.

Five minutes of outage does not sound bad to me. I am impressed with HDNET based on viewings at my local dealer.

How is customer service with DirectTV? Is Dish better on the customer service front?

4. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I just saw that DirectTV has the highest JD Power ratings as well.

Any others have comments on experiences in the satellite world?

5. Mark Paquette

Mark Paquette Supporting Actor

I'm a 5+ year subscriber of Directv. No complaints at all here. Signal outages due to storms have been very, very minimal for me as well. Maybe happens 1 or 2 times a year and only during the real big turd floater kind of storms. Picture and sound quality are much better than cable. I do not qualify for local stations so I rely on cable for that. I just purchased an HDTV receiver to go with my new Toshiba HDTV ready set; can't wait to watch the Sopranos in HD. I also subscribe to the NHL Center Ice package which is only offered on Directv so that made my decision much easier.

6. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Thanks Mark, that's good information for me. Enjoy the hockey!

7. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

This topic really ought to go under Audio/Video Sources. You might get more feedback there.

I get much better reception from DirecTV than I ever did from cable, and outages are no more frequent. It's cheaper for the channels I subscribe to, and you can get the equipment for free (two-room, two-receiver setup).

I can't see ever going back to cable.

Jan

8. Jeff Pounds

Jeff Pounds Second Unit

Lee,

I'm a new DISH Network subscriber (had it about 6-8 weeks) after years of being a cable subscriber, but here are my impressions. Note that I have the DISH 508 PVR receiver, and do not have HD:

- Video quality really depends on what you are watching. HBO, Discovery, ESPN and most other "cable" channels look pretty good -- equal to or even slightly better than my local cable provider (Cox).

- Local channels look slightly worse than the cable provider, except there is no ghosting, which I got from time to time on my local NBC affiliate.

- The things that looks the "worst" on DISH are live sports events on the networks. For example, watching a football game on Fox or CBS, you see a lot of digital compression artifacts on the field and the picture overall just isn't very good. However, live sports events look MUCH better on ESPN and Fox Sport Net (I'm under Fox Sports Southwest).

- The sound is MUCH better across the board on DISH Network then it ever was on cable. Of course, having Dolby Digital on a lot of HBO and Starz programming is going to sound better just based on format, but even all of the ProLogic or DD 2.0 stuff sounds much cleaner and just overall better.

9. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Good feedback Jeff. Thank you.