1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Need advice on receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anish, Aug 20, 2002.

1. Anish

Anish Stunt Coordinator

I was wondering if I could get a little advice here from the experienced HT guys.

I am moving into a new apartment soon and my plan for the living room is to have a plasma screen, home theater speakers, receiver and DVD player to start. These are my decisions so far:

TV: Panasonic 50" plasma screen
    Speakers: Anthony Gallo Micros for the 4 corners and Anthony Gallo Due' for the front and rear centre channels (6 speakers)
    Sub: Anthony Gallo powered sub
    DVD Player: Panasonic DVD-RP82
    Receiver: Denon AVR-5803 or DVR-4802 or DVR-3802

Now looking at my system to start, the speakers aren't overly powerful because I am living in an apartment so I tried to get the best compromise between aesthetics and power. For the above setup, do I need a Denon 5803 or would I only use the amount of power and features that the 4802 or even 3802 can give? I am trying to figure out if I would be wasting my money by getting the 5803 and if I would be able to achieve the exact same effect and function from the 4802 or even as low as the 3802. My room dimensions are 16' x 18'.

Could someone please tell me what I could do with the 5803 that I couldn't do with the 4802 or 3802, given the setup that I have?

Thank you for your help.

2. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    The 5803 has:
    - video conversion (composite or s-video to component).
    - better power supply and amp section
    - better / more DACs
    - two 7.1 ch inputs (100kHz+) vs. 1
    - bass management for DVD-A
    - is upgradeable
    - fancy remote
    - maybe something else?

At any rate, the better DACs will certainly be noticeable. If you have separate SACD and DVD-A players then you'll want both 7.1 inputs (the DVD-A bass management is a huge plus as well). Video conversion is nice (you won't have to run multiple video cables out of your receiver to your plasma). You'll need to decide if these improvements are worth the extra $$$...

3. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    from a power requirement point of view, I would imagine that even the 3802 is enough, given that you're powering small satellite speakers. Greg has helpfully pointed out the other features that you may or may not want: your question is whether the rather substantial increased outlay on the 5803 is worth it to you.

just curious, since I'm not familiar with Gallo speakers or 6.1 setups, but is it necessary for the rear-centre to be the same as the front centre? I thought rear centres are usually the same as the surround speakers, so in this case there would be 5 Micros and only one Due' at the front centre?

4. Anish

Anish Stunt Coordinator

Yee-Ming actually I am sort of new to this as well. I know that the Due is very good for a centre channel so that is why I was going to use it on the front centre... but I tried thinking logically and assumed that the same speaker would be best for the rear centre as well... am I incorrect here?
    The reason I ask is because I have 2 Due speakers and 2 Micro Speakers for now. I will be buying more of either one, but I don't know what I need yet. Here are some options if someone can help:
    1. Micro speakers in the front-left, front-right, rear-left, rear-right; Due speakers in the front-centre and rear-centre. (4 Micros + 2 Dues)
    2. Due speakers in the front-left, front-right and front-centre. Micro speakers in the rear-left, rear-right, rear-centre. (3 Micros + 3 Dues)
    Do any other configurations come to mind? In case you aren't familiar with the speakers, here's the specs on both:
    Micro speakers and Due speakers: http://www.roundsound.com/micspecs.htm
    The Dues are basically two Micros stuck together, with a little tweeter in between them. So I assume they would be better for centre channels. Or would they be better for surround or satellite??
    Thanks for your help.

5. Anish

Anish Stunt Coordinator

Yee-Ming actually I am sort of new to this as well. I know that the Due is very good for a centre channel so that is why I was going to use it on the front centre... but I tried thinking logically and assumed that the same speaker would be best for the rear centre as well... am I incorrect here?
    The reason I ask is because I have 2 Due speakers and 2 Micro Speakers for now. I will be buying more of either one, but I don't know what I need yet. Here are some options if someone can help:
    1. Micro speakers in the front-left, front-right, rear-left, rear-right; Due speakers in the front-centre and rear-centre. (4 Micros + 2 Dues)
    2. Due speakers in the front-left, front-right and front-centre. Micro speakers in the rear-left, rear-right, rear-centre. (3 Micros + 3 Dues)
    Do any other configurations come to mind? In case you aren't familiar with the speakers, here's the specs on both:
    Due speaker pics: http://www.roundsound.com/systems/due.htm
    The Dues are basically two Micros stuck together, with a little tweeter in between them. So I assume they would be better for centre channels. Or would they be better for surround or satellite??
    Thanks for your help.

6. Anish

Anish Stunt Coordinator

Due speaker pics: http://www.roundsound.com/systems/due.htm
    Thanks for your help.

7. Anish

Anish Stunt Coordinator

ATTN: MODERATORS
    Please delete Posts #4 and #5. I accidentally submitted more than once. Sorry about that.
    Thank you.

8. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

Well the 5803 will probably last you 2-5 years at least. It has every possible format available today and can be upgraded for future formats. Eventually it will need to be replaced but that may be a long long time. So if you want a piece of hardware that will last you a long time then get the 5803. If you are looking for something JUST for this apartment then perhaps the 3802 or 4802 would suit you more. You seem to have a lot of money judging by the nice equipment you have. So you may want to "move up" in equipment when you leave your apartment. In the end it's what you find most important. Good luck.

9. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    Anish:
    I'm still a relative noob at this, so take all this with a pinch of salt, at least until an older hand chimes in and agrees with me (shock! horror!) [​IMG]
    but seriously, since you ALREADY have 2 Dues, and presumably want to use everything already on hand, and if as Allen surmises budget is not a constraint, I would suggest your second option, i.e. 3 Dues up front and 3 Micros at the back, even 4 if you want.
    the "most important" speakers are the front stereo pair and the centre. front centres are often different from the main pair for aesthetic reasons -- stereo pairs could be tower speakers, which obviously won't fit under or on top of TVs easily, and even bookshelf speakers are a bit too tall. so manufacturers make "sideways" speakers for the centre. otherwise, in an ideal case, the front 3 speakers could be identical.
    obviously with Gallo satellites the size is not a constraint, so you can use 3 Dues up front.
    surrounds are not as important, since they're for ambience. hence they are usually smaller (read cheaper), and accordingly you can use the Micros.
    the rear centre doesn't operate exactly the same as the front centre. the front is the main, if not sole, reproducer of dialogue, which makes it critical in your HT setup. in contrast, the rear centre does much the same work as surrounds, i.e. supply more ambience, or occasionally a sound effect that is exactly coming from behind.
    many suggest using two rears instead, since a single rear directly behind apparently can be confused for sound coming from in front (don't ask me how, psychoacoustics or something? or just the way the ear is structured.) apparently having two rears spread out behind makes it less "confusing". this is sometimes called a 7.1 set-up, although since there is only a single rear channel split into two speakers, it's not a true 7.1 configuration, just 6.1 "enhanced".
    if you do go with 7 speakers, I'm not sure if the 3802 supports 7 speakers, though I think it does. if not, you'll have to go with the 4802 or higher.
    personally, I imagine the 3802 would be enough, it isn't exactly an entry-level receiver (that would be the 1802, or even 2802) and is more than competent, has enough power and all the formats you need now. if in future you move into a larger home, you can buy a new, bigger and "badder" receiver at that time to power the bigger speakers you will no doubt want. the main reason I say this is because of the substantial difference in price between the 3802 and it's larger siblings. on the other hand, if money really is no object, there's no real reason not get a "badder" receiver now?

10. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Anish for the price of a 5803 I would advice you to go separates. A Rotel 1066 with a Rotel 1075+1080 would kill the 5803 in sound and performance anyday, IMHO. Also IMO DACs and DSPs don't make an appreciable difference in sound while build quality and superior components do make a lot of difference in sound quality. Also going the separates route will give you more flexibility and save you some money in the long run as you will only be upgrading processors. Also separates do look cool esp. the Rotels new silver look, so you can rest easy on WAF too. I think the Rotels will match your Gallo's aesthetics more than the industrial look of 5803[​IMG].
    MHO.
    P.S. 5803 owners please dont flame me esp. on the last one about its looks.

11. Anish

Anish Stunt Coordinator

Yogi,

The question is, do I even need the power of the separates that you suggested... or will the Denon 3802 be sufficient and then I could put that money that I save there into something else.

Anish

12. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Well to tell you the truth the 3802 would be plenty for your room and speakers. I myself have one and love it. But if you are leaning towards the 5803 due to its 'exotic' processing and feature set then I would advice you to go separates. Once you start hitting the 3K region, separates is the way to go, IMHO.

Regarding power there in only one rule of thumb: there is no such thing as too much good power. Ordinarily you only listen to a few watts of power assuming you have speakers of 90 db nominal sensitivity. Its only during those exploding alien head scenes that you require about 20 db of extra power that translates to about 100 times more power. And its these scenes that separate the men(dedicated separates) from the boys(receivers).