What's new

Need advice on receiver upto $2000 for B&W 804s + 805s (1 Viewer)

I have 2 B&W 804s as front speakers, 2 B&W 805s back , HTM-1 center and ASW 850 subwoofer.

Currently, I'm using Marantz 7300 receiver. I am looking for better receiver to power these speakers to their true potential. I will highly appreciate if someone can suggest some good receivers upto $2000-2500 range ?

Shannon S.

Stunt Coordinator
Check out the Arcam AVR 300, or Arcams new line of separates. I have the AVR 250 and it sounds very good with my B&W 600 series.

Arcam

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I agree what I'd do is add a power amp to that nice receiver and use it as a pre amp. Those speakers deserve real power and you're unlikely to find it in a receiver.

1) Receiver (as pre-amp) and Amplifier combination

I agree that no receiver will justify these speakers. I am looking at using following receivers as pre-amp :

- Denon AVR-4306
- Pioneer Elite VSX-74TXVi

Both are around $1500 range and provide THX, HDMI ports, i-link etc.. which are not available in pre-amps and other older receivers.

2) Pre-amp and Amplifier

I am also looking at pre-amp + amp combination.

I will appreciate if someone could suggest some good Pre-Amp + Amp brands and approx. price ranges, that I can use with these speakers. I usually like to go with brand names, even if it costs a buck extra but it gives me peace of mind and some bragging rights - just kidding:D

3) What is your opinion about Pre-amp + Amp vs. Receiver (as pre-amp) + Amp ?

Westly T

Second Unit
I like the AVR-4306, I just bought it, but it does not have i-link.....

I didn't find any pre-amp I liked as well anywhere near the price, but I don't have the speakers I eventually want right now either. Until I move and have space for what i want, the Denon will keep me happy. I plan on adding a good amp down the road when I get speakers that need it.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Rajiv:

I work with a lady by the name of Anjli Sharma.

I would recommend without hesitation the Outlaw Audio 990 preamp and their 770 Power Amp.

The 990 not only has great surround but 2 channel audio too with digital bass management on all channels. The 770 power amp is very clean with more than enough head room to power your B&Ws.

Parker

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Feature wise its hard to beat the receiver option as they typically lead the field in that regard. For sound quality though you should get lower noise going with a true pre amp and for the most part the better ones have enough features for the things you typically need.

As for brands check out Halo, Parasound, Arcam, and Bryston (amps)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks