Need advice on receiver upgrade please!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by esabet, Sep 7, 2003.

1. esabet

esabet Auditioning

Hello all;

I own an Onkyo SV919THX AV receiver which is Pro Logic receiver only and I must add that I have been very happy with. Additionally I only have two surrounds, two front, one center and two sub-woofers (Atlantic Technology System 350) so I am not really equipped for a 7.1 system unfortunately.

Since it is Pro Logic ONLY I am considering upgrading even though the unit has hardly ever been used. Now I am stuck between two options:

First Option: I can go ahead and buy an external standalone decoder like Technics SH-AC500D since the receiver accepts an external decoder. This will cost me around $150.00

Second Option: I can go ahead and change the receiver all together and since my budget is tight I have been recommended the Harman Kardon AVR7000 which i can pick one up for around $550.00 to $600.00.

What you would recommend, Which one will I be happier with considering the cost? Other ideas / recommendations are more than welcomed![​IMG]

2. Mark Russ

Mark Russ Second Unit

The HK 7000 is also an older receiver. It was top notch in it's day, and it still has a better amp section than probably about 99% of the new receivers that you can buy today. However, while obviously being more up to date than your old Onkyo, it is still kind of behind the times with what's out there new today (Pro logic 2, 6.1 and 7.1 formats, etc.). If you are planning on only sticking to 5.1, then I say go for it, but if you think you would ever be interested in upgrading later on (and trust me, odds are you eventually will), then I'd take that same amount of money and get an HK 525 or something comparable now.

3. Laurence_C

Laurence_C Stunt Coordinator

Laurence
    Esabet, If you are just wanting DD 5.1 why not go to a DVD player that has on-board decoders??? Your Onkyo 919 has that DB-25 input to accomodate this situation. This certainly would be a very cost effective solution until you can buy something more substantial.

4. esabet

esabet Auditioning

Well couple of issues with the DVD idea: 1) I have to buy a DVD with Multi-Channel output since the two that i have do not have it and 2) that will only resolve the DVD and not the output from the satellite receiver. I wanted to get something that will handle both!

5. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

for DD you don't necessarily need MCH outputs - IIANM if you set your player to output PCM it will decode the DD onboard before passing it to the receiver thru the digital output. however this still wont help your satellite output

6. Laurence_C

Laurence_C Stunt Coordinator

Laurence
    Since thats the case and you presumably want to stay cost effective, the Technics processor would be the way to go.

7. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

I would have to throw something else in the mix here. I love my Harman/Kardon AVR-225 and it cost me about $400 which is below MSRP... but I also got it at a retail store by bargaining a little.

Now Hamrans have great amps and not to mention are just great all together. I would have to say to go to the store and try there AVR-125. You should be able to find it somewhere for about $300 and it sould still have enough power for what you are looking for. I would be much better myself with just a new reciever than purchasing alot of new equipment.

Besides, if you ever set something up in another room then you have that Onkyo you can always use for a deck or another room, or perhaps speakers throughout the house.

8. esabet

esabet Auditioning

It seems like you guys are more in favor of total upgarde than anything else. Given that lets assume I streched my budget then which would you recommend HK AVR8000 or the HK AVR7200? This brings me to another question, with either receiver can I still use it as a 5.1 system or would I have to upgrade my speaker system as well (i.e. purchase two more rear speakers)?