What's new

Need advice on receiver/amp situation (1 Viewer)

DavidNighorn

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all,

I am downsizing my travel system and have about $1,000 to spend. This sum is only for the receiver/amp. The system is intended for HT and music reproduction. I am keeping my speakers and cd player. Here are the options that I'm struggling with:

1) Blow the whole sum on an NAD T7x3 AV receiver. I've read nothing bad about this piece of kit and it seems that it is aimed at the audio market first. Obviously, the receiver will do double duty as HT and 2-ch.

2) Buy a $500 HT receiver (probably HK) and then also buy a used tube integrated amp. In essence, this will give me two systems. The integrated amp would most likely be the Onix SP-3 which has gotten some pretty decent reviews.

So, if it was up to you, which would you do?

David

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
The first option seems most suited to your original purpose. I assume by traveling system you mean something set up in a Motor Home or Boat where you can better appreciate HT. NADs can have some flakey software issues at times but really deliver superb sound quality.

One thing to consider: I don't know offhand if the NADs under consideration will transcode video to Component, if that's important to you. For the price mentioned it looks like the HK 435 would be available (at least from Harmanaudio or Ebay) but no transcoding there until the 635.

Probably better to go all-in-one with the NAD if space is an issue.

P.S. I have a house full of HK equipment and love the sound.

DavidNighorn

Stunt Coordinator
Space is not an issue. I live in a corporate apartment. The travel system is intended to give my something close to the house system without the cost or size issues. The house system is Anthem AVM 20, Rotel 1090, Rotel 1095. The current travel system is Anthem AVM 20, Rotel 1080 (2), Rotel 991 (2).

At this point, I am leaning toward the 2-systems approach. The HT system will be based on the Panny XR55 digital receiver. The music system will be based on the Onix SP3. I would welcome input and objections to this approach.

David

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks