Need advice on receiver...adding front hdtv projector and screen

gjackson78

Auditioning
Real Name
Gary
Hey all. I currently have an 8 year old Yamaha dd,dts 5.1 receiver. I am about to purchase the Panasonic PT-AX100U projector and screen. Now I need some education/advice/suggestions on whether I should go with a new receiver that allows for HDMI switching (and even component switching). I've seen a Denon around the $700 range that does HDMI switching and will allow for 1080p signals. The idea of everything converting to HDMI sounds great so only one cable is needed to projector. IF you guys were in my situation what would you do? What attracts you to particular receivers (modes, features, video switching, etc) and what do you see as gimmicks? Lastly, if you are knowledgeable on screens for front projectors feel free to sign off
Thanks again.

Gary

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Look for ease of use. Running all your video through a receiver that converts all inputs no matter what format to a standard format to your projector so you don't have to switch inputs on the projector for ease of use is what you are shooting for. Your on the correct track with the Denon. It will all depend on your budget. Denen has a lot of Fantastic A/V Receivers and I'm a Denon fan myself. Would be nice to go up to thier flagship model some day. I'm still running the 4802 here. I haven't made the move to HDMI yet as my 60" Display was before HDMI was out. I'm going for it for christmas... the new AVR-5805MK2. I'd love to give the new Panasonic 103" Plasma a look at also. I can't believe the $49,000 "on sale" Price. Has anyone seen this in person yet?

http://www.engadget.com/2006/01/09/p...-and-personal/

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I agree on the ease of use mentality. However, if you planned your HT room correctly, running cable to your projector shouldn't be to much of an issue. I ran a 4" diameter PVC pipe down the ceiling and wall for the purpose of running cable to my projector (s-video and component/vga). I did that because, at the time, I had a Yamaha RX-V540 that upconverted composite to s-video, and s-video to component, but not composite to component) so I needed to have 2 cable runs.

However, my new reciever upconverts all signals to component making my s-video cable obsolete

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Yes that's totally the way to go!!! Before DVI and then HDMI, when component was really the only way to go I was againt pipe chases going everywhere, but my opinion on that has totally changed in the last few years. If your going to build a room that doesn't have access (like a drop ceiling or access from the rear or attic) I'd put the biggest pipe chase in that the walls allow. That way if you have to get a premade cable that has a large connector like vga or hdmi through there's no problems down the road!..

Dave Moritz

Premium
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Hey Gary,

What is your goal? Are you looking to own and watch any HD sources at 1080i or 1080p? Are you looking to be able to listen to Dolby True HD and or DTS-HD Master Audio? What is your budget?

If you are looking to have the capability to decode lossless surround sound you may want to put off a reciever until next year. Granted the HD-DVD player can decode Dolby True HD internally. But the HD-DVD will not decode DTS-HD currently. The Blu-ray players will not decode ether format internally. The only Blu-ray player that might do that is the Panasonic player that includes 7.1 analog outputs and comes with a card to get the upgrade. That will allow you to decode Dolby and DTS lossless down the road. So if internal decoding inside the player is good enough then you could allways find a good surround reciever that will fit your needs.

Keep in mind that HDMI 1.3 will be available most likely by the end of the 4th quarter of 07'. New recievers with the ability to decode Dolby and DTS lossless will be out around the same time. I would exspect that the new $5k Sony 1080p projector might get the HDMI 1.3 upgrade around that same time as well. You must decide if you will be happy with a 720p projector or if you want a 1080p projector. Also buying a really good screen that matches your projector will yeild a better picture as well. I would highly recomend a Stewert Film Screen as they are IMHO the best.

Suggestion: If you do not need or do not want to wait till next years product.
Sony VPL-VW50 1080p Projector
Denon or Pioneer Elite Surround Reciever
Stewert Film Screen

Brand suggestion for a budget 720p projector: Infocus

Alot depends on your budget but I would spend as much as you can afford as this will give you something that will last longer and have better audio and or video quality. Also don't forget getting some good quality cables, that will insure a solid quality connection between point a and point b.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
els