Need advice on putting together a home theater/ Gaming Room.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Josef_K, Sep 2, 2001.

1. Josef_K

Josef_K Agent

I have always meant to get a surround sound system for my bed room but never got around to it for cost reasons.
    now that there are certain gaming consoles coming out I want to get the best I cna out of them.
    I also enjoy watching movies a lot.
    But I would like the system to have certain things with the receiver. such as
    2-3 component video inputs.
    2 optical inputs.
    I want the component inputs for two console systems and a DVD player. I only have one component input on my TV right now.
    of course I would also like 5 speakers and a subwoofer.
    I'm willing to spend $800 on all this or max $1000 (for a complete system), but I could just wait for everything eles and just get the receiver now and buy other things later.
    my room dimensions are 12 ft x 11 ft and 8 ft high.
    I'm currently on a 36" Sony wega.
    I'm asking if anyone had anythoughts on what I should do and buy. the component inputs and optical inputs are a must. even 2 component inputs would do fine.
    Any speaker recommendations?
    my subwoofer doesn't need to be to powerful since I'm upstairs (but under the garage) and my room isn't to big.

2. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

Welcome to the forum Josef! If you haven't done so already, you might want to venture over to the Hometheater Hardware Area and do some searching or asking over there. You're more likely to get the responses you are looking for.
    General advice for you...stay away from Bose. They are not worth what you pay. Energy has some good 5.1 speaker systems. There are other "Hometheater in a Box" systems that do work very well. Check out http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Archives/Archive-000002/HTML/20001212-14-030184.html
    [​IMG]

3. Greg O' Connel

Greg O' Connel Stunt Coordinator

You might want to consider dropping the multiple component inputs in favor of S-Video. The difference between the two isn't all that great, especially if you don't have a high end display.
    For a home theater in a box, I would suggest the Kenwood HTB503. It has 4 S-Video inputs and 2 optical inputs. The 503 is last years model, so it may be difficult to find. If you can find it, it's usually been marked down to around $400. If you can't find it, the new Kenwood model is the HTB 504, which usually goes for $500, although you may be able to find it cheaper. Even though it's more expensive, it's still worth the money. I would recommend going to http://www.audioreview.com "Columbia House - we were built to irritate America - one person at a time!" [​IMG]

4. Josef_K

Josef_K Agent

Thanks for the info.
    yeah i heard the bose lifestyle 30 and i was blown away. then you see the price tag and get turned off.
    this has seriously helped me out. i think i shouldnt go with the component input and just go with the S-video. ill look into that home theater you recomended. thanks.

5. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Along the same Kenwood lines, you can get the VR-509 or 510 (maybe both) with component video switching for not a whole heck of a lot of $$.
    You'd have to get a seperate speaker system which might run you over budget, but you'd get the switching you wanted.