What's new

Need advice on projector & screen! (1 Viewer)

Damo

Auditioning
Hi,

I am about to purchase a SONY VLP-CX1 Projector (don't laugh, that's all I can afford).

I aim to have a Home Cinema set-up in my living room.

I plan to get a Stewart Grayhawk screen (not sure exactly which one yet).

Okay, here's where I need some help...

Distance between screen and back wall (where projector will be): 13ft

What would be the (best viewing) maximum screen size I could have (16x9 screen only, please)?

The wallspace available for the screen is: 6.66ft (or 80in)

- wide & 4.33 - 4.50ft (max)(or 52/54in) in height.

What kind of Grayhawk should I buy? Videomatte?

I doubt I could stretch to a 'motorized' screen.

So, I guess I will have to make do with a pull down.

But, do these bend, dent or crease easily over time?

Lots of questions, i know.

But, I would be very grateful for some answers!

Thank you,

Damo

p.s. I live in the UK. Sometimes work abroad in the U.S.

So, I can buy the screen (cheaper!) in the U.S.

Huey

Agent
Let me get this straight. You're gonna buy a $1500 PJ and pair it with a 1K screen? I think your priorities are messed up. I'd go with a homemade screen to save money and buy a 2K PJ like NEC LT150 or Sanyo XW15. If you do go with CX1, I'd go with matte white as it's about $100. Plus a gray screen will be too dark for your 550 lumens of VPL-CX1 although it'll help the 200:1 contrast.

I had this before upgrading to LT150. CX1 is very good at video except it's dim. Absolutely no ambient light possible as it will wash out image. Tried a homemade gray screen using a light gray bed sheet--too dark. The best thing about CX1 is it has nice, vivid colors (same as LT150). Screendoor is noticeable (worst than LT150) but not seen at 13 feet. The max 16:9 or 4:3 image size was 80" wide at 13 feet (variable due to zoom, 4:3 or 16:9 has constant width). Zoom was nice to shrink 4:3 image to fit 16:9 screen. It was projected at 2 feet above my head on back wall on a shelf with me sitting on couch beneath it against the wall. Noise is not bad (39 db) and is similar to LT150 in table top mode.

It had good video processing with straight composite from analog cable VCR being very watcheable. DVD via Svideo is almost as good as HTPC (still better on A-B comparison but not by much). Its processing is DEFINITELY better than LT150 which requires progressive signals to shine. It did develop 3 dead pixels (stuck on blue) over 1 month of ownership so I sold it to my mom for her to watch TV at 100" diagonal. LT150 is much better once you feed it progressive signals with much better blacks and contrast (800:1 compared to 200:1).

The black bars on CX1 was dark gray (enough to light up the room) and needed masking with black cloth. Once masked, it's pretty good although still look a little flat compared to 3D imaging of LT150. LT150 did not need masking as black bars were pretty black. I prefer LT150 as I don't suffer the dreaded rainbow artifacts (light separation from spinning color wheel) and don't have to worry about dead pixels which are accepted by most companies as "within specs".

Damo

Auditioning
Thank you for the reply, Huey :)
Money is tight.
And , I don't want to have a 2nd rate DIY screen!
Knowing me, I'll mess it up...and it will look "home-made".
I can get the CX-1 projector for £1,000 ($1,400) here in the UK. Believe me, it is not my ideal choice. That would be a Seleco SIM2 HT300 (available soon for $15,000) or a HT200-DM (not the old 200 model) for £4,000 ($6,000).
I've seen it in action and it looks great.
The downside is that it doesn't have a VGA/PC-input.
A friend of mine has a CX-1 (linked to his PC) and, all things considered, it's not that bad.
We've watched movies (via Power DVD), played PC games, Dreamcast, PS2 and even done some work, too! It really is quite cool having a large screen instead of a PC monitor! Probably not for everyone. But, I make records for a living and having a big visual display for audio & midi is luxurious bonus.
I haven't bought the projector yet. So, there is still time to consider other options. I haven't heard much about the NEC LT150 you mentioned. I looked in Home Entertainment magazine (in the UK). They have never done a test on an NEC. I will look into it though. Not sure either about the SANYO XW15. That model may not be available in the UK.
However, I have read good things about the SANYO PLV-60.

It retails here for around £5,000 ($7,000). But, is said to be quite fantastic. It oughta be for that price!
It delievers a true widescreen display of 1,366 x 768 pixels. Contrast ratio of 700:1 witha 250 watt bulb throwing out 1300 ANSI Lumens. Not bad, huh?
I've yet to see the machine in action. But, I will definitely look into it. Although, it sounds like I will save to keep on saving.
As for the screen. I have definitley made up my mind, no question. I will be buying a Stewart Grayhawk screen. I've seen it and it is a must for LCD projectors.
Let me know what you think.
Thanks again,
Damo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks