What's new

Need advice on projector & screen size/fitting! (1 Viewer)

Damo

Auditioning
Hi,

I am about to purchase a SONY VLP-CX1 Projector (don't laugh, that's all I can afford).

I aim to have a Home Cinema set-up in my living room.

I plan to get a Stewart Grayhawk screen (not sure exactly which one yet).

Okay, here's where I need some help...

Distance between screen and back wall (where projector will be): 13ft

What would be the (best viewing) maximum screen size I could have (16x9 screen only, please)?

The wallspace available for the screen is: 6.66ft (or 80in)

- wide & 4.33 - 4.50ft (max)(or 52/54in) in height.

What kind of Grayhawk should I buy? Videomatte?

I doubt I could stretch to a 'motorized' screen.

So, I guess I will have to make do with a pull down.

But, do these bend, dent or crease easily over time?

Lots of questions, i know.

But, I would be very grateful for some answers!

Thank you,

Damo

p.s. I live in the UK. Sometimes work abroad in the U.S.

So, I can buy the screen (cheaper!) in the U.S.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Pulldowns may wave after time but when viewed from the front, it is not even noticeable, you would have to view from the side at a shallow angle to really see it.

I am assuming that your seating will be around 12-13 ft from the screen. At that range, you would surely want to fill up the entire width of that wall, or 80"x45".

Martin W

Agent
We all have a budget, but if the CX-1 is all you can afford when it comes to projectors, how do you plan to afford the grayhawk? :)
Just a thought considering a grayhawk screen costs almost twice as much as the CX-1 projector over here.

Kendal Kirk

Stunt Coordinator
I am in the same boat when affordability and ease of use goes. I just installed a pulldown screen this past weekend to use with an Epson 713e. Even though the epson is a bit noisy, I am very happy with the results. The screen does have a very minor wave on the side, but it isn't noticable(right now) after viewing 5 movies.

The housing that I built to place the screen within can accept up to a 96" wide screen, but I have started out with a generic screen that is 60" wide that you can pick up at many office supply stores.

Not to take over the thread, but am I starting out in the right direction, or am I just kidding myself?

thanks . . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks