Need advice on progressive scan player please

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John E F, Sep 29, 2001.

1. John E F

John E F Stunt Coordinator

I desperately need some opinions and here is why. I recently bought a Panasonic 51HX41 HDtv (I'm a sucker for the 0% interest) after watching a Toshiba 50" rear projection for a few years. I already had a JVC SA70BK DVD-Audio / Progresive scan player which I was watching through s-video since the old tv had no component. The JVC is producing green and blue snow through the compononet in both progressive and interlaced modes on the new tv. I switched cables, tv inputs, electrical outlets, surge protector, and just about everything else. I hooked our bedroon Pioneer player, through the component, to the new set and it produced no snow at all. I will be returning the JVC player today.
    Here is the question :
    Do you guys think the Panasonic RP56 would be a good progressive scan dvd choice in the under $300.00 range? A good picture is more important than DVD-Audio at this point as I already have an SACD player which I prefer anyway. I am just about ready to give up, as we have had a run of real bad luck with players lately. Please help me.

2. Neil Weinstock

Neil Weinstock Stunt Coordinator

Don't know if this is helpful, but I for one am very seriously considering the RP-56 as a replacement for my Toshiba SD-6200. It's use of the Sage/Faroudja deinterlacing chipset makes the RP56 a unique bargain in progressive DVD players.
    I can't even believe how cheap the thing is, and yet I still expect it (for my purposes) to be a significant upgrade in several respects compared to my Toshiba, which I purchased for $600 less than a year ago. Wow!

3. John E F

I did pick up the 56 on Saturday and it works great. The progressive picture is excellent, I have not tried the interlaced mode though. For the asking price it is a very good progressive scan player. The only complaint would be no digital coax out, only optical. This didn't create a huge problem for me, but it seems coax and no optical would make more sense. Now to find time to return the JVC, which has a horrible interlaced picture.

4. Oswald Pascual

Oswald Pascual Second Unit

5. Neil Weinstock

Neil Weinstock Stunt Coordinator

My reading of the flicker problem is that it's not that big of a deal. I will see when/if I pick mine up, and be sure to buy from someplace I can return to.
    Compared to the problems that the RP56 would be solving for me, the flicker sounds like small potatoes (how exactly do small potatoes sound, anyway?)

6. SHAWN SZILEZY

SHAWN SZILEZY Stunt Coordinator

John E F,
    I currently have a XV-SA70BK and it is awesome! Sounds like you got a faulty unit. A huge selling point to me was the auto-scale feature. As far as I know, the RP56 does not have this feature. Then again, no player is perfect.
    Thx......Shawn [​IMG]

7. John E F

I'm sure it was a faulty unit, that makes two from JVC I have had to return. I really wanted to like that player too. The RP56 has a major flaw IMHO by not having a digital coax output, seems like a small enough feature that should have been included. The flicker problem is not big enough to worry about though. I suffered through "Along Came A Spider" last night and didn't notice any flickering at all. As for all dvd players having faults, I believe this to be 100% true. I think it is a huge conspiracy by the manufacturers put in place to keep us all replacing our equipment every 6 weeks. [​IMG]