1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Need advice on new wide screen projection TV

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Darren_T, Jun 18, 2003.

1. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

Ok, I'm in the market for a new HDTV widescreen projection TV. I have a few questions and welcome any advice I can get. I currently have a Toshiba 61" projection TV that is about 5 years old.

I've read that Pioneer, Mitsubishi, and Toshiba have excellent large screen TV's but haven't heard much about Philips. The reason I bring up Philips is I have a friend that works there who can get me their 60" widescreen TV for $1500 bucks. About half the price retail. I'm not sold on this though for a couple reasons.

1. The Philips is silver and I prefer black
    2. Their largest set is a 60" where others have 64"

I haven't compared all the features of all the sets yet but thought I could get a few pointers before I set out on my quest. One thing I noticed is all the new sets have an annoying glossy lexan type dust cover on the screen. This creates annoying glare where my current TV doesn't have this dust cover and I get no glare or reflection at all.

Which set do you prefer for the money? Features? Any articles you could point me to as I research?

Thanks.

2. Sanjay Gupta

Sanjay Gupta Supporting Actor

Sanjay Gupta
    I just bought a Philips 55" widescreen and honestly I am quite impressed by it. At the price you mention I think the Philips is a no brainer. Buy it you won't regret it.