What's new

need advice on new AV receiver! (1 Viewer)

ARM420

Agent
Real Name
Tony
So I've decided its time to upgrade my receiver a little bit. Don't have a huge budget. Need to stay around 250-300. I've been looking and researching the last month or two and so far these are the front runners that I've come across. Sony STRDH720 7.1 This seems like a pretty solid receiver for 249 on amazon. Has a little higher watts then a couple others but that's not a huge sale point for me. Its not networked so that's a down fall for me. Onkyo tx-nr515 7.2 I really want to like this receiver... its 299, has all the Features I'm looking for (7 channel, networked, the bells and whistles like the sound calibration android control app ect.) But the big break point is that apparently the HDMI board on all the new mid to low end onkyos are garbage... half the reviews complain about it and they've come out with firmware updates which haven't helped so as much as I like this one I'm trying to shy away from it.. Pioneer VSX-1022-K 7.1 This is the one I'm currently leaning towards the most. Its 7 channel,networked,6hdmi inputs, most of the things I'm looking for and has decent reviews. I read one review that said the sound quality didnt quite keep up with what they had come to expect from Pioneer but wasn't really that noticeable either. So for 249 new on amazon I'm really considering it. Any info or input on these will be greatly appreciated. Or other suggestions. Thanks guys :) feel free to ask questions to better inform me on a decision

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
It depends on your sources and speakers which you should go for... The Sony 720 is last years. Even the X30 are going to be discontinued soon, so the X20 will be "two models back". If you don't like the HDMI issues(which if you do some research "on the research", you find out all of the HDMI issues have been resolved since August. Which it is now 5 months, so there is no more issue...provided you re-research your research)of the 515(it has a 2 year warranty anyway), try the 509(last years and it is 5.1). Or if you need the HDMI upconversion...the 609(which "technically" Onkyo replaced the 609 with the 515 and created the NR414 to replace the 509). The Pio 1022 is being discounted cause it was too close in price all year to the 1122. They are now $100-ish apart, but only cause the 1022 fell so much. All the "new ones"

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way, you can buy the NR515 at A4L for $250, shipping included...and buy the New Leaf 5 year warranty(which takes over after year 1, cause refurb Onkyo has a year) for $50...same price as non-refurb on Amazon.

ARM420

Agent
Real Name
Tony
Right now my speakers are in need of an upgrade as well. But that's gonna have to wait a little bit. Need the receiver first. I have a pair of old pioneer 3way floor speakers and some small surround speakers. I use my ps3 most of the time for all my streaming and gaming. If the hdmi problems have actually been worked out I would love to get the 515. I feel like for the price range its definitely the best bang for the buck. Am I right in thinking that?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Don't take my word(as gospel) on the 515. But it has been talked about on "every other forum" that... 1. USB based updated(instead of ethernet) have never bricked the 515(and is the "Onkyo preferred" method anyway)... 2. The finalized updates for the 414/515/616/717 all came out in August. And yes, Onkyo leads the "bang for the buck". They have for years.

ARM420

Agent
Real Name
Tony
Alright well ill look into it a little myself then as well. So now another question since your quick with the responses. Is there a difference between the 515 and 616? Is there something that makes the 6 worth the extra 50 bucks?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Major upgrades from 515 to 616... Width(Audyssey DSX) (only matter if you are going to use height or width anyway...515 has height) Zone 3 (do you care?) THX "select 2" (basically Onkyo paid THX some cash so they could smack a THX label to the front and you also get some extra cool sound modes)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Edit: Sam beat me too it! :P A quick look at their website shows the 616 has 1) A slightly stronger amp section...not enough to make a real difference 2) Audyssey DSX (Front Heights) 3) Zone 3 Line Out Not much really.

ARM420

Agent
Real Name
Tony
So not really worth it then? Lol. I guess with the warranty I'd be willing you take the risk on it. Can always return it. Would just rather not have to deal with it. But thank you for your help and advise. Been a big help :)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
What AVR to buy comes down to wants/needs/budget. Things I need... Main channel pre-outs. Phono input. So, if I were buying a new AVR from Onkyo...I'd have to buy the NR717. Which I already have the 707. I care not for networking nor 3D. So I'll sit on my 707 till HDMI 1.5 shows up to see if it brings anything I care about.

ARM420

Agent
Real Name
Tony
I ended up buying the 515 refurbish from a4l with the warranty. Thanks for the advice guys. Looking forward to getting it hooked up

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks