What's new

Need advice on my upgrade plans and sequence... (1 Viewer)

Ryan_MF

Stunt Coordinator
OK - right now I have a pile of crap HT in my living room. I'm using a Sony STR-DE545, DVP-NS700P and Klipsch quintets with a Klpisch KSW 10. My top-of-the-line Monster interconnects alone are worth more than most of this setup. So...

I plan to upgrade to the following over the next few months -

Rotel RSX-1055 A/V Receiver - $1300

Yamaha DVD-S2300 or Denon DVD-2900 - $1000

SVS 20-39PCi subwoofer - $600

Dynaudio Audience 122 fronts - $1500/pr.

Dynaudio Audience 122C center - $800

Dynaudio Audience 42 rears - $700/pr.

I'm having trouble deciding in which order to purchase everything. I'm tempted to go with the sub and 122 towers first, followed by the Rotel receiver and DVD/SACD, then the rears and center. However, I'm wondering if I should go with the Rotel and DVD/SACD first and then work in the sub and speakers. I want to keep my HT as balanced and functional as possible in the interim. Suggestions?

Ryan_MF

Stunt Coordinator
EDIT - I am still considering the Paradigm Studio 40s, 20s, and CC as a less expensive alternative to the Dynaudios. I could save 700 by going with the Paradigms - enough to pick up another set of Studio 20s or cover the costs of stands/racks. However, right now I'm leaning towards the Dynaudios.

RobCar

Stunt Coordinator
I'd say if you're leaning toward the Dynaudios, stick with that inclination. The speakers are probably the best component to step up on (and/or break the budget for).

Nice choices on the other components. I have yet to hear a bad thing about Rotel. And I'd love to have one of those Yamaha universal players!

Scott_N

Second Unit
Buy the best speakers you can afford. Electronics come and go but good speakers will last you a long time.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Speakers first...that is where you will notice the most difference.
Like scott said "speakers will last you a long time"

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Your original idea of sub, mains, electronics, center/rears sounds good, that's what I would do.

Mike_J_D

Stunt Coordinator
I would caution you in doing speakers first. Yes you will notice a big difference in the Dynaudios. But your reciever worries me. How would you like to destroy your new speakers? I'm not saying you will, but you could run those quins off a boombox (I know I've done it before with a different pr of klipsch. I had a buddy some pretty descent speakers and then he went to Radio Shack and bought a piece of crap reciever. Well his reciever gave up one day and blew his speakers. If it were me I would do you Rotel first. The Klipsch will do fine with the Rotel. At the same time buy your new DVD player. Then do the SVS and Dynaudio speakers. Hope this helps. If you do decide to upgrade speakers first just be careful with the volume on your Sony. Oh yeah just thought of something else. Does your reciever have a switch on the back to adjust power depending on the speaker load you put on it? If it does I would definatly replace it first. Mike

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
I agree with Mike, if you're going to get the Dyn's, get the receiver and DVD first. Yes speakers will make the biggest sonic difference. However, Dyn's really require a good power source to sound their best and the Sony is not it. It also sounds like you may not have made your final decision regarding which speakers to get, this will give you that opportunity.

Even better, if you get the Rotel first, you should be able to arrange to audition the Dyn's and Paradigms on the Rotel in your home when its time to get the speakers.

Troy R

Stunt Coordinator
If I were you I would go: Rotel, Dyn's (fronts first, the center, and surrounds could come after the sub), Sub, then DVD player. you're going to have the most fun and hear the biggest difference from your speakers and receiver. I'd wait the longest on the DVD player. as long as the old DVD player works you'll get to enjoy your new receiver and speakers sooner!

I have the Dynaudio 1.3mkII's and am driving them with a crappy $300 Yamaha receiver. as long as I keep the volume low it does a fine job. obviously the dyn's don't sing like they should but they sound good enough until I can get some quality juice!

John_Clement

Auditioning
I'm in the same boat (my current system is 10 yrs old). I went with a subwoofer first, I got a Velodyne SPL1200 to add some bass, it helped but I'm still not getting that real HT experience. I'm doing the receiver next, my Yamaha is a good one, but dated for HT use with only Dolby Prologic. The reciever is where I think that I will find the most improvement in sound for HT. I still deciding between the Rotel RSX-1055 and the Pioneer Elite 45TX. After that I am going to do the speakers (I've got my eye on B&W 602 S3's for front and rears and B&W CDM CNT for center channel). My current speakers are adequate enough for a while. Next the DVD player and then a new TV. I going to wait on the DVD and TV because they seem to drop more in price over time than speakers. If I could do it over I would get the receiver first, then the sub. (if your comfortable with the sound of your current speakers for a while)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks