What's new

Need advice on installers recommendations (1 Viewer)

DarrylR

Auditioning
I have been scanning these boards for several months trying to learn as much as I can about home theater so that I can be an educated consumer. I'm not a DIY'r but like to know what I'm paying for. I recently had my basement finished and built a dedicated home theater (17' x 15') no windows and 9 ft ceilings. We are using a Home Theater company to install our theater and would like some advice on their recommendations. I can't nor do I want to do it myself so I realize that I am limited to whatever manufacturers my installer deals with and stuck paying MSRP on many of the products they are using. With all that in mind, I would appreciate this boards comments and suggestions on their recommendations.

Seleco Domino 20 Projector or Runco CL-510(Which one?)
Marantz SR7300 Receiver
PerfectVu 106" 16:9 fixed screen(anyone heard of this company?)
Marantz DV4300 DVD Player
Niles FG00477 Intellicontrol remote(do I really need this?)
JM Lab Cobalt Series Speakers & Subwoofer(CC800 center;816s fronts;SW800 subwoofer; SR800 surrounds)

I plan to watch DVDs, Satellite(High Def), and sporting events on regular TV.

I appreciate any and all comments.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Darryl this seems link a very nice setup. I’m not that familiar with front projection, so I’ll leave that to someone else.

The Marantz receiver is a very fine receiver indeed. It is worth noting that the SR7300 has been replaced by the SR7400, the main difference being that the 7300 having six channel output while the 7400 has 7 channel output. There are probably some other differences of which I’m unaware.

I don’t really know anything about their DVD players, but this is an overall fine company, so I’m sure that the are good ones.

I have not heard the speakers, but they have a sound reputation.

You don’t need a universal remote, but a whole lot of people like them. Basically you only need one and they can be programmed to turn everything on for any particular use. For example you might have one program to turn on the projector, receiver and DVD player. Another to turn on only the projector and and receiver and tune your satellite receiver to ESPN.HD.

·Are they putting in the satellite system? If so, what receiver?

DarrylR

Auditioning
They are not going to put in the satellite system. I figured I could make those arrangements myself and they would just hook it up to the system. I don't know much about satellite receivers. If I want High Def. is there a particular on the you recommend?

Appreciate your comments.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I would say your Home Theater Companay is doing pretty good.

That system should sound great.

On the remote, I am going to start suggesting like a Pronto or something to people, so I can program eveyrthing up with it, as people do gripe about the remote situation, but until recently never wanted to spend any money to make it better.

If they program up your remote for you and do a good job, I'd say go for it. It will save anybody that uses your system much frustration over the long haul.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
It depends on your choice of providers. I have DirecTV and therefore don’t know anything Dish.

Sony (really a rebadged LG), Zenith (also LG), Samsung and Hughes (the new model) are all good values. Plus Tivo is about to come out with an HD model in a few months.

I have the Samsung TS160, which I find to be very good, with a lot of features. I also have the Hughes E80 (they have a new model now) that works fine, but is not as versatile as the Samsung, nor does it lock onto weak signals and hold them as well (particularly in multi-path situations).

You might want to post a question in the A/V Sources area. You will likely get some opinions there. I’d also recommend that you inquire on the separate components in their specific areas. Your recommended speakers for example, are pretty esoteric for the basics section. I’ve only heard of them, not actually heard them. There may well be some audio experts who don’t look very often at this section who could advise.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Re the remote, from a hardware standpoint, this system doesn’t seem complex enough to warrant a universal remote, but if you will be using a motorized screen and/or controlling draperies and lighting and such it will probably be needed. The nice thing about having a professional installer is that if you ultimately don’t like the remote you can get them to provide other options.

Regards,
Wayne Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks