Need Advice On Home Theatre

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by BurtS, Feb 2, 2004.

1. BurtS

BurtS Stunt Coordinator

Hello I was recently running a radio shack home theater and the reciever has just broken[​IMG] Im looking to buy a quality reciever with 7.1 and digital ex as well as high fidelity rear speakers center channel and 2 speakers for the ex. I have searched the forums but its making my head sore with all the different brands etc.
    So whats a good reciever to buy(300-450) I was looking at the sony str-de995 for 347.00 what do you think. I was also looking into bose speakers but upon a search I found out that not many like it and it doesnt give a good frequency range, so whats recommended as high fidelity wall mount speakers go?
    This is my very first post and im a little new to the home theatre seen but I do run a super high fidelity stereo system in my car and want something similar for my home theatre.

2. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

I don't think you'll have any problems with any of the major brand receivers in the under $400 range. I have a Pioneer 812 in our living room that does the job just fine.

You can do alot better than Bose for less money. IMO, Bose sell for about twice what they are worth.
    You might check out HSU Research. http://www.hsuresearch.com/
    I've been reading good things about the Ventriloquist system. A friend heard them at CES and thought they were probably the biggest standout at the show. He's also a car stereo guy and competes in that area.

3. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

Can I ask what you have for car stereo equipment? Also what is your budget on the speakers? What kind of music do you listen to? Is this mostly for home theater or music? What size room do you have? These are all facters.

4. Gene_K

Gene_K Auditioning

I have a Yamaha DSP-A3090 for sale for $600.00 if you are interested. It's a 7.1 receiver. Search for it on Google for more info.

5. John S

John S Producer

So many ways for you to go, probably more information is needed from you.

How large is the room? ??x??x??

Much of the 5.1/6.1/7.1 HT experience is in the subwoofer.
    So if you do not have a decent powered subwoofer, for HT, you should absolutely add one.

What speakers are you running now? I'm banking that if they came with the Radio Shack HTIB, they will not cut it at all with a nice 7.1 AVR with some real high current amps in them.

6. BurtS

BurtS Stunt Coordinator

Room size is 19 x 13 estimated looking for smaller sized wall mount speakers about 1 ft high. Still looking at the SONY STR-DE995 A/V RECEIVER WITH 7.1 DECODING on ebay but wouldnt mind something cheaper with same quality sound but less wattage. Geez this is the 3rd time writing this message as every time you push the back button the message gets erased

7. Greg_sford

Greg_sford Agent

Greg
    Burt, Dec 03 Home Theater magazine has a face off of:
    Pioneer vsx-d912k
    Yamaha rx-v640
    Onkyo tx-sr601
    These list for $500, a bit more than you are after, but article might give you some good comparative ideas and you can look at next model down - or buy online for less?

Better yet, sound and vision looked at $300 receivers:
    Onkyo TX-SR501
    Panasonic’s SA-XR25S
    Yamaha RX-V440
    soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=514&page_number=1
    Good luck!

8. ZachT

ZachT Auditioning

Get a yamaha RX-v540 for $400 retail. You can find it cheaper online. Dont buy sony. Plus dont look at watts when buying a reciver. I had a pioneer 711 which is 100 watts x 5 and the yammies 80 watts blow the socks off the pioneers 100 watts.

9. John S

John S Producer

Pretty large room, I think you may need to go quite a bit higher end, to get any sort of Theater like experience.

But not everybody needs or wants Theater like performance either.

10. JoeHard

JoeHard Stunt Coordinator

I don't normally like to tell someone I don't like their AV choice, but since You did ask ,I'm not a fan of Sony audio equipment.I would look at Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, or Marantz.Just one man's opinion.

11. BurtS

BurtS Stunt Coordinator

I ended up getting the Harman Kardon avr325 though it was defective[​IMG]