Need Advice on Home Theater system before Buy..

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by mostused, Jul 26, 2006.

1. mostused

mostused Auditioning

Please advice...

Looking for a very good home theater system. I already have a DVD Player and TV.So i need Receiver and speakers(looking smaller speakers)

Budget: 1000 to 1500

1. Need a suggestion on whether to get a HTIB or get piece by piece and assemble it.

2.Which is best in market in my price range?

Thanks guys...

2. BrianTwig

BrianTwig Second Unit

Avoid an HTIB at all costs.

With your budget and desire for smaller speakers, I would look at the SVS bookshelf speakers. The SBS-01 comes in a 5.1 system with the PB10-NSD for $999. Couple bucks more for shipping and stands or wall brackets if you need those. For a full 5.1 system of top quality speakers and best in its class sub you can't go wrong.

I will defer to others on the receiver. But check out Accessories4less.com for some great deals.

3. mostused

mostused Auditioning

Thanks for your reply...

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Hi Murali,

First, welcome to the Forum!

Since you’re new to this, I’d recommend a Yamaha receiver, as they tend to be more user friendly than a lot of other brands. The remotes are well designed ad easy to program and the manual is easy to read and understand, with lots of pictures and other notes to help out. I know, that sounds “first grader,” but with manuals for even mid-line receivers topping 100 pages or more these days, you need all the help you can get, trust me.

If you can pony up a little extra, look for a RX-V1500 or HTR-5890. They’ve been discontinued (the replacement models added HDMI), so you might be able to find them for substantially less than their $850-900 list prices. Yamaha of course has cheaper receivers, but I recommend these because they have the ability to program individual buttons on the remote, in addition to the usual programming codes for other components. IMO this is much better than the codes alone, because they always seem to leave out some button or function that you really need. Being able to program per-button better insures that you only have to have one remote in hand when watching TV or a movie.

If Yamaha isn’t your bag, check Denon or Pioneer. I haven’t had hands-on with these, but from studying their on-line manuals, they look fairly user-friendly too (although I’m less confident in Denon’s electroluminescent remote, from both a programming and durability perspective).

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. mostused

mostused Auditioning

Thanks Wayne for your nice post.