What's new

Need advice on HDTV purchase (1 Viewer)

John_RO

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking to buy an HD set in the near future and have a few questions. Due to the constraints of my room and the media cabinet, I can either go with a 32" 4:3 set or a 30" 16:9. I'm leaning toward the widescreen. Our room is long and narrow so I am only about 8 feet from the TV. The analog Panasonic Tau 32 I have now is more than big enough for our purposes.

So what should I look for as far as options? Inputs? etc. I see that Sony has a 30" widescreen for $999 and the Panny is 100 dollars less. Any user opinions, preferences, other brand options? I have never bought a tv that wasnt a Sony or a Panasonic and trust them (I did own a 20" Magnavox in college, but my parents bought that at Sears). :)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John

John_RO

Stunt Coordinator
Bump. I saw the panasonic at Sam's Club for $679. Is that a good set? I believe it's the CT-30WC15 model?

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
I think everyone has left for the long weekend. It's just you and me. Can I get you a beer?

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
No prob, I have miller on draft or maybe you'd like a pint o meh home brew?

John_RO

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a Michelob man meself. Not that Miller is a bad thing (i'm drinking a Lite rite now). I had Mich on tap for years, then the ol keg fridge died. Got a new beer fridge for the garage but my wife wont let me drill a hole in it...yet.

So, back to the original question. Any 30" HD widescreen owners out there with any good purchase advice?

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Here is a related thread with some ideas, but they seem to be a bit higher than our budget.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=234522

I think I'll check out consumer reports too in a few weeks. I'll let you know what I find.

Here's a source I just found which may be helpful;
http://www.dlptvreview.com/

Doesn't your wife get tired of having to open the door each time she goes to get you a beer?

btw - I wasn't trying to waste your time, just bumpin things along

Dean_S

Second Unit
My sister had the 30" Sony you mentioned and it has an excellent picture but she doesn't like to watch SD material in Stretch mode (I don't either) so in side bar mode (normal in Sonyspeak, I think) the actual pic size was smaller then the 25" TV it replaced. So I convinved her to exchange the TV for the same priced 32" Sony 4:3 and now 4:3 material is 32" and 16:9 content is about 29". So with the 4:3 32" you actually can watch everything in it's native ratio and still have a decent sized image.

John_RO

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info guys. Dean, i'll take your comments into consideration. After all, 90% of what I watch is 4:3.
BTW, my wife doesn't mind getting me beers...as long as I rub her back, take out the trash, mow the lawn...etc., etc.

JR

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks