Need advice on good first speakers under $1000.

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by vinson, Nov 10, 2003.

1. vinson

vinson Auditioning

Hi everyone,

I just ordered the denon 3803 from 6ave and am expecting it soon. Now I am looking to buy some speakers for it. My plan is to buy a pair of decent speakers that I could use right now and get a sub to go with them. Because I am only living in an apartment right now I figure I should buy some speakers that could later be used as my surround speakers when I move into a larger place. What do you guys think of this strategy. I was hoping I would be able to spend at most $1000 to get the speaker and sub combo. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what speakers I should consider for this.

Thanks,

Vinson

2. Bill Polley

Bill Polley Second Unit

Consider an SVS 25-31PCi sub and a Behringer BFD parametric EQ. You should be very close to being able to buy Some Axiom M22ti bookshelves with what is left, or the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170s. Both are fantastic speakers for a great price. Do some searches on these speakers, or go to Axiom's website and ask the people on the forum there.

3. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

Also visit the Ascend Forum for information provided by Ascend owners. The Axiom forum is part of www.axiomaudio.com.

Also do some research on the Hsu VTF-2 and the new STF-2. These two Hsu subs, or the SVS 25-31PCi will leave you some good budget left for Ascends or Axioms.

4. John Robert

John Robert Stunt Coordinator

I would get the VTF-2, but go with Athena AS-F2 speakers for a combo with much "slam" and great sound for music and HT. Also, when you upgade you'll have full-range speakers all around (a much debated concept) for HiRes music.

If you like bookshelf speakers, you can get the Infinity Intermezzo 2.6p on closeout for $600 pair. A good sounding, well-reviewed speaker...

5. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

nht st-4, has built in sub...very nice speaker...

Rich

6. vinson

vinson Auditioning

Thanks for the responses everyone. I just wanted to ask what you guys saw as the main difference between the VTF-2 and the SVS 25-31PCi. It might just be a coin toss on which one I get.

Also where could I find the Infinity intermezzo's that you mentioned above.

I still don't have a very good idea on what two main speakers I should get for now. I had shown the M22s from the website to my gf and got the hands down because of the way they look. She said they reminded her of her father's fugly stereo. So I'm looking for a pair of speakers that have some visual appeal also.

Thanks for all the great replys so far.

7. ArthurJ

ArthurJ Second Unit

GR Research A/V 2 with Sonicap upgrade $399
    20-39PCi $599

If your up to DIY you really can't do much better the the AV2's and this comes in just a little over budget after everything is said and done.

My second suggestion would be...

M22Ti or CBM-170
    20-39PCi

8. Jon_Krug

Jon_Krug Stunt Coordinator

well, i was going to suggest the axiom m60's but if the m22's didn't look good enough, i am guessing the m60's will be worse. the other brand i would recomend is the onix rockets. i think the rocket 550's would fit into your budget. their website is www.av123.com
    i haven't heard the m60's but they were a consideration for me when i was looking. i did hear the rocket 750's (the older version) but felt that they were a little rolled off on the top (the newer sig version has corrected this, and the 550's which i have not heard supposedly never had that problem). i ended up with the onix ref1's and would highly recomend them if they were in your budget. another thing about the rockets, is that they really r a great looking speaker.

9. george king

george king Supporting Actor

If you build your own cabinets, the AV-2s are the best deal, and they are amazing speakers to boot.

10. ArthurJ

ArthurJ Second Unit

George, even with the pre-built cabinets they are still a bargain. It just depends if you can afford them or not!

11. george king

george king Supporting Actor

Arthur,

Oh I agree with you, but I was considering his budget. I certainly love my AV-1s. [​IMG]