What's new

need advice on getting a new computer (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
I currently have a 133 that has its hard drives full and the CD ROM quit working so I want a new computer. I don't have a lot of money so I was thinking about going to Dell.ca and getting the cheapest computer they have. Since my current computer is so old I figured that moving up to a 1.0 G would be so impressive I don't need the 1.8 G. And I already have a 19 inch monitor.

What is all this that I read about home theater pcs? I may have read something somewhere about a piece of software that can scale DVDs to higher resolutions. Is that true? Is there any reason I may want to hook a pc to my Toshiba 40H80? Tell me all about everything I may want to know.

jeremy

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
If you output a signal from your PC using a VGA-->Component Video converter, you can output at higher resolutions. However, it doesn't mean outputting a DVD at a higher resolution would look better on your TV than a regular progressive signal from a good DVD player. The output quality of a regular 480p or 540p signal from a good HTPC is a little better than some lower end progressive players, but is still below some of the better ones (Pan RP91).

And you have to factor in the fact that there will be a good deal of troubleshooting and advanced configuration with setting up custom resolutions and correct video signal timings for your TV.

Basically, what I'm saying is that from my perception of your basic knowledge of computers, I would suggest you buy a computer for computing and watch DVDs with a standalone player.

Jeff Engel

Stunt Coordinator
I would stay away from Gateway. I had two and both were complete and total lemons. One was a Gateway replacement for the other when I told Gateway how bad the first one was. The second one only lasted until Dell came out with a new model I wanted. Dell makes a great computer, works every time and takes a hell of a beating, ask me how I know. :frowning:
Depending on what you want to do with your computer ie. gaming or DV editing or just a run of the mill computer changes which I would recommend. My Dell and Gateway are both laptops, my desktop is an Alienware Aurora DDR www.alienware.com and it's a great well built machine that plays game phenomonoly(sp). If gaming is your thing I would recommend Alienware. My wife has a Sony VAIO and those are great for DV editing. It has all the requirements for Firewire and some of the new ones come with DVD-R/RW. Best Buy has a good Sony VAIO package for less than 1600 dollars. Alienware also has DV Editing computers but I don't have any experience with that line. If past performance is any indicator though, I'm sure it rocks.
You never mentioned price either. The Alienware is gonna run a little more expensive than the others but IMHO it's worth it. The Sony's also run a little high as they normaly don't come bundled with a monitor and they list at the same price as computers that come with monitors.
Dell would be the cheapest, depending on how you configure it of course.
I would get an Alienware first for all applications. A DV Alienware if that's your bag. The Sony if I was into DV and didn't want the Alien or you wanted a DVD-R. And Dell last if you just want a run of the mill cheap computer. I use run of the mill and cheap in the best of terms here, none of these computers are that way, but present company included it's the best way to describe the Dell.
Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks