1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

need advice on first projector

Discussion in 'Displays' started by richArm, Jan 3, 2005.

1. richArm

richArm Auditioning

greetings all, new member here, love all the great info. im in the market for my first projector. any suggestions?? i think i like the features of the benq 7210, good res and plenty brite, plus good ratios, but a friend says there junk. something about its video processor. hes pushing me towards the infocus 4805. i can only spend about 1500.00...................any help would be greatly appreciated.[​IMG]

2. Ryan FB

Ryan FB Second Unit

The 4805 has a Faroudja DCDi video processor, which are pretty well respected. However, do you really plan on watching a lot of interlaced sources on your projector? With all the other factors, I don't think the Faroudja would be the determining one for me.

Infocus 4805:
    Native Resolution: 854x480 Pixels
    Full On/Off Contrast: 2000:1
    Brightness (Lumens) : 750 ANSI
    Lamp Life: 3000 hours
    Eco-Mode Life: 4000 hours
    Color Wheel Speed: 4x
    Component Video: Yes
    Video: Yes
    Digital Input: DVI (HDCP)
    Personal Computers: Yes

Pros:
    -Faster color wheel
    -Longer lamp life
    -HDCP DVI input (good for compatibility with future devices, allows a true digital input)
    -Faroudja scaler

Cons:
    -Lower resolution
    -Lower lumens

BenQ PB7210:
    Native Resolution: 1024x768 Pixels
    Full On/Off Contrast: 2000:1
    Brightness (Lumens) : 2200 ANS
    Lamp Life: 2000 hours
    Eco-Mode Life: 3000 hours
    Color Wheel Speed: 2x
    Component Video: Yes
    Video: Yes
    Digital Input: No
    Personal Computers: Yes

Pros:
    -Better resolution
    -Brighter

Cons:
    -Slower color wheel
    -No digital input
    -Slightly shorter lamp life

Also the Infocus is 16:9, while the BenQ is 4:3. It's up to you which factors are more important to you. For example, if you don't have a good light-controlled room for your projector, brightness might be an important factor. If most of what you watch is widescreen DVD's, resolution won't be so important, and you might want to lean more towards a projector which is natively 16:9. Color wheel speed won't be an issue if you don't have any problems with DLP "rainbows" or "headaches" on a projector with a 2x color wheel (I don't, and neither has anyone who has watched my projector). Neither projector is the absolute "right one", but one might be the better one for your situation and viewing requirements.

3. richArm

richArm Auditioning

i'm new at this research, but i think on the in focus site it says 6-segment color wheel, not 4. or am i confusing segment with speed? and what kind of prossesor does the benq have?

4. richArm

richArm Auditioning

oh yea, the benq says 4:3 native but 19:9 selectable, does this mean you get best of both worlds?

5. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Rich, you need to go to Projectorcentral.com and read up on all the basics. It's a great site, and they also have reviews, and "Highly Recommended Projectors". Any projector can display 4:3 and 16:9.

6. Ryan FB

Ryan FB Second Unit

This is harder to explain unless you have an understanding of how anamorphic video works. Basically it means the BenQ will always be 4:3, but you can put it in 16:9 mode to squeeze anamorphic video back to 16:9 and add bars on the top and bottom of the picture, but you still keep some of the added resolution which the anamorphic video process provides.

7. richArm

richArm Auditioning

thanks for the help, any more input would be great. the room will be in basement so very light controlable. i have been to central.com and i've seen all the specs, just when i was about to make a desision, the guy from tweeter said, forget all you read and sit your butt down and see what looks good to the eye..... thats when i got confused....thanks again to all.....

8. Paul-D

Paul-D Stunt Coordinator

If you are dealing with someone at tweeter I would ask them if you can get one pj one week, test it out in your settings, and then get the other pj another week to test out.
    You're not going to know till you see it.
    Good luck