Need advice on DVD cleaning products.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marc Colella, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

A friend has a few DVDs which are a little dirty (purchased used) and would like to clean the discs.

Anyone have any recommendations on cleaning products for DVDs? Same as the ones for CDs?

2. Daniel J

Daniel J Stunt Coordinator

I've seen nice 'microfiber' cloths for cleaning eyeglasses, computer monitors, etc. on sale all sorts of places. Those would be excellent.
    If not, old (clean) cotton undies work well. (just make sure they're not pilling into little balls-that's bad)
    I prefer Fruit of the Loom.

oh yeah, cleaning products, as in solvent? I'd get anything I can off with water and minimal pressure, then work my way through mild soap, the tiniest bit of alcohol, with a last resort being some kind of heavy-duty solvent like goo-gone.

You are talking about cleaning the bottom of the disc, right?

3. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
  4. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    No need to buy anything, really.

1) Rinse disc (DVD or CD) with warm clean water (distilled, preferably)
    2) Mix just a few drops of liquid dish-soap (uncolored, unscented, preferably) with a few cups of warm water (distilled, preferably) to make very mild soapy water.
    3) Lightly swab disc using soft, lint-free tissue (camera lens tissues or eye-glass cleaning tissues)
    4) Rinse with clean water
    5) Swab disc with tissues to dry it

This works great for removing fingerprints.

Note: don't use acetone (fingernail polish remover) or similar chemical; they will attack the plastic of the disc, possibly damaging it.

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

also remember to wipe from the center to the outer edge in a straight line. no wax-on wax-off here!