need advice on dlp or lcd Tv, or Going Projector

Discussion in 'Displays' started by tracy.t, Feb 24, 2006.

1. tracy.t

tracy.t Auditioning

hello, I am now ready to purchase a tv, or a projector. I really want a projector but the salesman at bestbuy and ultimate electronics said that I they had the money and space they would not purchase a projector, they would gat the lcd xbr 60" sony tv. It's a nice tv but at the price but I would prefer a projector. They tell me that projectors even the top dollars ones are still 2-3 generations behind tv technology. I do alot of tv watching and movie watching. I just purchase the Klipsh reference series front speakers, a kef center channel and a def tech subwoofer along with the yamaha reciever that was like 1500. so I spent alot on money and am don't want to skimp out on the tv. any suggestions??? Thanks in advance.

Tracy

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    They obviously make more money by selling the TV they're pushing. I've had my projector and a 106" diagonal screen for about 1.5 years and I love it. But I do not watch standard definition programming on it. SD programming will look bad on ANY projector. I just use it for DVD's and HD programming.

3. Shane Harg

Shane Harg Second Unit

I tell you, I just saw a demo on a Panasonic AE900 and it had a far superior picture to ANYTHING I have seen up to that point. Now, I did not see HD on it, but the DVD (Revenge of the Sith) was upscaled to the HD realm. It had better contrast, was more brilliant and sharper than a movie theater. I was sold and I bought one - still not here yet, though.

You say you do a lot of TV watching, which can of course be done a projector, no problem, but the room needs to remain pretty dark to effectively watch a projected image - the only drawback. I can completely control the light in my room and I watch virtually no TV - 100% movies - so a projector suits me wonderfully. If you have a lot of windows and watch TV during the day, at all, these are things to take into consideration.

BTW, I used to work on the floor of Ultimate Electronics and I'll tell you right now, the salesman there is WRONG. He either has more to gain by steering you the other way, or he can't give you an effective projector demonstration.

4. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

Ok, first off.....do not listen to the people at BB and UE....they are nice enough people but they really do not know what they are talking about. When they said that TV technology is 3 generations ahead of FP technology that pretty much proves the point......THEY ARE THE SAME ^%&*'N TECHNOLOGY!! They are just implemented differently. How much do you really plan on using this? If it is A LOT then you might want to opt for a TV. Front Projector bulbs are expensive and they will burn out quicker than then the bulbs in the the sets. Panasonic and other companies claims very high numbers on the life of the bulbs.....they do not get anywhere near that. The last 2 Panny FP's (AE500 and 700) experienced a pretty big loss in brightness after about 500 hours of useage. And the bulb averaged about 1500 - 2000 hours. Still very good but nowhere near the 3000-5000 that they were advertised. I am unsure if this is the same with the 900. (by the way, I use Panny as an example because I have a lot of experience with them and have several friends who own one....not because I do not like them. If I were choosing a FP right now I would jump all over the Panny 900 or the new DLP offereings from Infocus)

What you may want to look into is getting a cheaper TV set for normal tv viewing and a FP for Movies and special sporting events. This way you have the best of both worlds. This is what I do. Personaly I do not watch a lot of tv though and when I do I really do not need to see my local weather mans head filling my wall......

Shane is also very right.....you need to have a dark space and HT based FP's are not not designed to be light cannons.

So to sum up.......If you watch a lot of TV and movies 7-8 hours a day...you may want to go w/ a TV or think about getting a cheaper/smaller tv and a decent FP this way you have the best of both worlds. A lot more people do this than you may think.

5. tracy.t

tracy.t Auditioning

cool, I am definitely going projecotr then. I don't really spent alot of time watching regular tv, or dish network downstairs anyways, maybe whenever superbowl or whenever something special comes on, thats when we'd spend the time downstairs on the future projector. I have a walkout basement with quite a few windows, but they do have blinds on them. however its at night is when we do most of our movie watching. the remainder of the time we would watch dishnetwork on the tv upstairs or in our bedroom, however it would be nice eveyso often to watch it on the projector sometimes. My question is, you guys say the bulbs on the projectors last about 500 -600 hours?? is it easy to replace? average cost on those? and is there anything else involved to needs be replaced with these. The salesmens at bb or ultimate informed me that lcd, or dlp projections bulbs also burn out at roughly I think they said 3-5k hours and it needs a technician to come out to replace and its very hard to do yourself. your thoughts??

6. Oren Paul

Oren Paul Stunt Coordinator

Stay out of Best Buy, Circuit City, etc....
    I have a Panasonic 500 projector that I watch everything on (92" screen). I have had it over 1-1/2 years, paid under $3,000.00 cables, extra bulb, screen (carada standard bought separately but included in the 3000), and ceiling mount included. The "clock" is at about 2500 hours on the bulb and because I have used the PJ in low lamp mode since day one it still looks great and I have not gotten the "replace lamp soon" on screen message that the owners manual says is comming. Frequent ON-OFF cycles are what will kill a bulb, so keep that in mind. In short 92" for $3,000.00 in HD looks better than 60" in HD IF you can control the light and IF you have the room.

7. Shane Harg

Shane Harg Second Unit

No. They may have some loss of brightness after that much time, but so do ALL sets utilizing projection technology - rear projectors and so forth. I was quoted 2000 hours on the AE900 lamp, but since I only watch movies, that's like...forever.

8. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

You should get substantialy more than 600 hours on a FP bulb. A lot of it depends on the machine and the wattage of the bulb...and obviously your viewing habits, ventilation and how you take care of it. My 4805 claims 3000 hours......people have been getting about 2,500 or so. Changing a bulb is VERY easy on a FP. It is more difficult on a RP set simply because it is hard to get to....again though...a lot depends on the machine. As for cost of bulbs....figure anywhere between $250-$400, depending on the FP and its' bulb.