Need advice .... on DIY speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by joy, Apr 8, 2002.

1. joy

joy Auditioning

Hi,

I have $2k to spend on my Ht speaker system. I have auditioned to different speakers and narrowed down to 4 choices def techs bp30, mirage and B&w nautilus and the Diva's/ Out of these, only for the Diva's, I am trusting the forums and reviews.

On the other side, I want to know if it is worth for me to make the speakers, Adire kit 281 HT setup. As for my skills for making speakers, I can say I am 4-5 on a scale of 10. Even if I screw up, I will screw up only the MDF, which is $$ only. I am hoping, , I could come close to them speakers, Eric jones has for his HT. A while ago, he sold an extra pair of these. Do not remember the price !!!

Also cost estimate is kind of confusing for the complete HT setup with adire kits (Left, C, R and two sides, rear center + sub ; ie 6.1 setup). Overall, I am thinking it should be around $1800. So

My million dollar question is,

Do I plunge in DIY and come any close to the once Eric has OR stick with one of the chioces.

Please advice ....

Thanks,

Joy.

PS: Are there some guys, who are good at wood working skills, and want to do them for me ? I am interested in talking to them too .

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Hi
    Here's the million dollar answer....
    Do you enjoy woodworking/soldering and the rest ofthe stuff involved with creating your own speakers? If you do then it's a great hobby. If the only goal is saving money, then buy ready made speakers. Because the cost of admission = tools, time, energy, labor, etc, isn't cheap.
    Also I think you answered your own question with the final sentence in your post [​IMG]

3. Jeff Rosz

Jeff Rosz Second Unit

heya joy,

unless you buy used or get a HELLAVA deal somewhere, those nautilus (805's being entry level) will cost ~6k last time i checked for a 6ch setup, excluding the .1 sub. maybe you meant the 600 series? which wouldnt be a bad choice btw.

4. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

Joy,

Building the cabinet is the hard part. That said, there are kits in which you can buy the enclosures ready made and you do the assembly. The two that I have been looking at are the GR-Research Paradox and AV1 kits, and the SpeakerCity Scan7 kit. ACI is also very popular but I believe they are already assembled.

I love B&W and Sonus faber speakers but they are expensive, especially the higher end Nautilus and Sonus classic line. What you do get with those speaks besides good sound are beautiful furniture, but those veneered GR enclosures look pretty good to me.

The problem with the kits as that unless you know someone locally that has them and can have a listen you are depending on the opinions of others. The other downside is if they turn out to not be the sound you are looking for then resale may be difficult due to poor brand recognition (ie forget about ebay).

But from what I have read the Paradox1 is comparable to my Sonus faber Signums ($3K speakers) and the Scan7 a step above. Although granted these will all sound different. The Signums are better than N805 and more comparable with N804/803 without the bass IMO.

If I were just starting out, I would probably go with something like B&W 601-S3 all around with an Hsu or SVS sub. DefTech is great for theater but not my cup of tea for listening to music. Certainly ready made Divas or Gr kits are options with I believe a 30 day return policy. Could try just a pair to see if they are to your liking.

Good luck!

5. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

To add to Gil's post, you can buy some of the ACI speakers in kit form from the subwoofers.com website. Both the ACI Emeralds and GR Research AV-1's are excellent speakers, with the edge going to the AV-1's.

At this time you'd have to build your own enclosures for either.

Brian

6. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

Brian,

Does this mean that your out of the cabinet making business for the AV1? The cherry veneered box that you made looked very good.

Gil

7. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Gil,

No, not at all! I just wasn't going to give myself a plug. Technically, I am building AV-1 and AV-1+ cabinets but not with grills. The ones available through the GR website will have the grills that are held on with neodymium magnets, but they are probably a month or so away from availability.

Brian

P.S. The cabinets I built were finished in maple, not cherry.

8. Ron D Core

Ron D Core Stunt Coordinator

If you want to get involved in DIY for the the sole purpose of saving money, it would most likely not be worth it. You need tools, sofware, books and plenty of extra stuff for trial and error. If you want to get into DIY, do it simply becuase its fun and anything built by your own hands is going to sound great to you anyways.

9. Mark Larson

Mark Larson Supporting Actor