What's new

Need advice on calibrating speakers (1 Viewer)

Sebastian

Second Unit
Okay, I have an Onkyo 484 receiver and HTD level II speakers 5.1 set.
I used the radio shack SPL meter and The Ultimate DVD platinum set-up disc.
The results
Left front 0Db, center -3Db, right front 0 Db, Right rear
-1 Db, and left rear 0 Db.
The sub was way too hot according to this Disc as well as the rec test tones. I believe that is normal?
The receiver test tones gave the same results.
Anyway, Why is my center channel -3 Db, if anything when watching movies I feel that the surrounds are over powering the center and I can barely hear whispering but during loud explosion and stuff the surrounds sound way louder than the center channel. What's up with this?
If anything I think the center channel should be at 0 Db.

I moved the meter around (pointing straight up and different degrees using a tripod) as well as the two front main speakers (moved higher) and received the same results.
I think I am just going to say the heck with meter results and just leave the center at 0 Db. What do you guys think?
thanks

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Now that you know what calibrated sounds like, I'd recommend leaving it that way for a little while to see if you become accustomed to it. If it still bothers you, there is no reason why you should not adjust to your taste.

As for the center, I would adjust it up in increments of 1dB and see how it does. Adjusting it's level too high makes it draw too much attention to it making it obvious that it is there, IMO. It should blend seemlessly with the mains, but I adjusted my center +1dB to bring it up a bit for dialog.

Sebastian

Second Unit
Have you or anyone else experienced this? Where center seems to be to low after calibrating?
I will try out your suggestion, thanks

Jimmy P

Stunt Coordinator
This is a common complaint (low center volume) some people say they have better results if they aim the center channel towards the listening position, example : if sitting below the center channel, aim the center to point towards you. The low center volume complaint seems to stop the closer you get to 85dB. The easy way as previously posted is to adjust the center to your taste, just dont overpower the surrounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks