Need advice on buying HD-STB

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Stieglitz, Jul 18, 2001.

1. Scott Stieglitz

Scott Stieglitz Auditioning

OK, here's my situation. I just purchased the Toshiba 65H80 and now I'm looking for a set top box so I can watch HDTV. For the time being, I will be getting my HD signals from OTA and from cable (CBS-HD in Chicagoland is currently only offered through AT&T cable). I have not ruled out the possibility of getting a dish in the future, but right now it's not feasible due to my living arrangement. On to the questions.
    1. This is probably a dumb one, but I have to ask. Do all three sources (OTA antenna, cable, and dish) hook up to the STB through f-type antenna connections?
    2. Are there any STBs that have connections for all three sources? (This will not be a big deal if CBS-HD is OTA by the time I get a dish, at which point I won't need the cable hooked up to the box anymore.)
    3. Will the STB that I get pre-determine which dish service I will have to get? (i.e. are STBs compatible with both Dish and DirectTV?)
    4. And finally, which STB do you recommend I get?
    I appreciate any help you guys can give me. I'm a big ol' newbie with this HD stuff (if you couldn't tell), but that's why I'm asking the pros. Thanks.

2. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

Based on your wish list, I'd say the RCA DTC-100 (w/version 4.37 firmware) is your best bet.
    Have a look here for reviews of other STBs.

3. Jim Ferguson

Jim Ferguson Stunt Coordinator

I have the DTC100, but I wouldn't really recommend it for use with the Toshiba. The Toshiba requires component video inputs, and the RCA puts out RGB. In order to use them you'll need to get a component to RGB transcoder.

4. Bob Jackson

Bob Jackson Stunt Coordinator

The DBS boxes are fixed to one service.
    The Dish 6000 with OTA adapter will do what you want, except it must receive a signal from any 1 of Dish's 4 satellites for the OTA module to work.
    The DirecTV boxes do not have this problem, but must be hooked up to a DirecTV dish if you want to get a firmware update.
    Dish carries HD-HBO, HD-SHO, PPV, and soon HD-CBS (for markets with a network owned station). There is a demo channel on 61.5.
    DirecTV carries HD-HBO and one channel for both their PPV and Demo channel.