Need advice on buying good used M &K speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Karl_Luph, Jul 12, 2003.

1. Karl_Luph

Karl_Luph Supporting Actor

I'm looking to buy some good used older(10 yrs. old or so) M&K speakers. Are there some models that can be recommended? I'd like to get a subwoofer by them also since I've seen a number of members like them. I'll be using them with a Yamaha receiver for music in a 12'x12' room.

2. Karl_Luph

From the lack of response to this post, I take it that this brand of used speakers should be avoided for some reason?

3. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

No, M&K speakers are not to be avoided. On the contrary, they make a very high quality speaker at a somewhat reasonable price (emphasis on the "somewhat"). I've had my THX150 package with a MX350 subwoofer for about three years now and couldn't be happier. However, I purchased them new and did not have to go through the effort of buying them used. I suppose it would largely depend on where you purchased them from- a retailer selling them used, off of eBay, etc. I guess what I'm trying to say is that M&K speakers are indeed great (although some models are better than others), however, purchasing them used poses one problem: you have no idea how the original owner treated them. I'm not trying to assume that such an owner would abuse his/her equipment, however, I worked at a high end home theater store for a few years and was quite suprised at how poorly equipment was treated by many clients.

Out of curiosity- why did you choose to go with M&K?

4. Roger Kint

Roger Kint Stunt Coordinator

5. Karl_Luph

Thanks for the posts Scott and Roger. Scott, I'm looking at the M&K line because they seem to have been fairly well respected over the years, plus they're made in America. One thing Lately I've noticed some of the HTF mambers have pointed out is how much they like the Bryston amplifier company & that's who makes the amplifiers in the subwoofers. Roger, you're probably right, M&K owners love their equipment and don't want to sell it, lol!