Need Advice on Background Color for my DLP

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by WendellW, Jun 20, 2006.

1. WendellW

WendellW Auditioning

Hi all.

Finally getting to building my "dream" home theater in our barn/loft - suffice to say, I'm wanting to do it right and am spending a reasonable amount to be sure to do it that way!

I am building a custom bookcase for all of this to fit in, and am creating a "cubby" for the TV (a 61" Samsung DLP). The bookcases are designed such that the face of the TV will be relatively flush with the front of the cabinets, and although the room will likely never "want" a screen bigger than 61", there is probably about 6" of open space on the left and right of the set, and about 8"-10" above the set. Certainly OK for ventilation in any event.

All that said, the bookcases will be finished (painted) white, and we will be putting pocket doors over the TV for when it needs to be out of sight.

OK, so the question I have is this:

SHould I paint the inside of the TV's "cubby" (which will be finished on all surfaces, i.e. you won't be able to look down into the guts of the bookcase or anything) white (to obviously match the color all way round) or black (which is what I will be painting the inside of the spaces for the rack mounted gear, and the speaker cubby's, which will be covered with white grille cloth).

I've no experience in knowing whether a white background to view the set or a black background will be the better choice. Hopefully one of you experienced folks can steer me the right way (if there IS one!)

Thanks in advance!
    Cheers/Wendell

2. AndrewLevine

AndrewLevine Stunt Coordinator

Personally I find flat black the least distracting color you could use. When the lights are off and you are watching a movie, it wont reflect any light. This will make your screen seem to pop out from eveything else. Just my two cents.

Andrew Levine

3. Brian Osborne

Brian Osborne Stunt Coordinator

agreed. I'd paint it black. don't forget the inside of the doors too. black will help keep the very distracting reflections down when they are open.