Need advice on B&W speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Rajiv:Sharma, Jan 2, 2004.

1. Rajiv:Sharma

Rajiv:Sharma Extra

I have been having Bose for long time but am upgrading my home theater to B&W.

I have fairly big living room and can play bit loud music without neighbour problem. My max. budget for speakers is about $4500. My local dealer has advised me following two setups :

1) B&W Nautilus series :
    1 pair of Nautilus 803 - two speakers
    1 center HTM 2
    1 sub ASW 650
    Total : about $4700

2) 2 pairs of 600 S4 - four speakers
    1 center LCR600 S3
    1 sub ASW 650
    Total : about $3600

I use home theater 80% movies, 20% music. My dealers argument is in favor of Nautilus and according to him 2 Nautilus will give far better sound quality than 4 - 600S3. I am not very sure if i will get enough surround effect with 2 Nautilus 804s.

Let me know if anyone has used these speakers and what you think about these combos.

Thanks

RS[​IMG]

2. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

Based on the price and what you say at the bottom of the post, I assume you meant 804's at the top of your post, not 803's. Is this correct?

The 804's are excellent speakers, much better than anything in the 600 line and will give you good soundstaging and imaging. However, they're not going to provide any surround effect. That's what the rear speakers are for. As for centers, I think you'd be much better off with the HTM1 and not going with a sub for the time being if you go the Nautilus route. When it's time for a sub, don't get a B&W, you can get better for less than the 650 will run you.

What will you power the system with? The Nautilus line are revealing speakers and really require good system matching. A typical receiver will power them but you'd be better off with some good separates. If you don't anticipate your HT/music ratio changing and you want full surround right away, go with system 2 minus the B&W sub. Check out SVS, HSU, Adire, or the UFW-10 from av123.

3. Justin_D

Justin_D Stunt Coordinator

What are you using to amp them?

4. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

I agree. I would go with system 2. The nautilus sound great but if you do only 20% music. You dont need something that nice.

5. Rajiv:Sharma

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I will be using Sony VPL HS-20 projector and Marantz SR7300 receiver to power these speaker.

Thanks in advance for your feedbacks.

RS

6. Alex Prosak

With that receiver, I'd definitely go with your second option. It's an excellent piece but IMHO the Nautilus speakers need more than it can provide. With the 2nd option and the 7300, you will definitely have a very nice HT and it'll do quite nicely for music too.

Have fun!

7. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

I went in to our local B&W dealer the other day and listened to the HTM7 along with the 705s and was pretty impressed. I run the DM 602 S3s now along with the LCR 600. I thought about trying the Rocket line out but I don't know? I do know I really like B$W. Can anybody tell me what the 805s run for and the HTM1? Do you think it is a worth while upgrade over the 700 series?

Sorry Rajiv for butting in but maybe this will be a help to you also?

8. Rajiv:Sharma

Steve, The MSRP per piece for 705 $1000 and HTM1 $2000 and HTM2 $1000. Usually you can get 15-20% off on these.

I also discussed Nautilus 804 vs 700 series with dealer. But since 703 pair goes for $2500+ while 804 pair for $2900. Almost same price but one class difference, I guess.

RS [​IMG]

9. Alex Prosak

FWIW, I think with B&W a 5-10% discount is much more likely. For most dealers I think 10% would be pushing the limits. You may find some dealers that will go below that but I think they're very few and far between.

10. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Thanks for the info Alex and Rajiv. I just placed a call to see about a credit on what I bought from them about six months ago. I payed $1100 then. What kind of credit should I expect if they go for it?

11. Alex Prosak

Depending on what you're upgrading to, many B&W dealers will give you full credit on the trade-in so long as they're in good condition. I think they typically expect the second purchase to be double the cost of the first for full trade in.

12. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Thanks. The center alone then would be just about double if I went that rout? Thats one chunk of change for just one speaker though. I bet it sounds absolutely incredible though. The 700 series is the highest they have on hand, so if I ordered anything in the 800 series it would be mine.

13. Rajiv:Sharma

Steve, I agree with you, center HTM1 is way too expensive, thats why I am more inclined to HTM2 ($1000 diff).

Alex, what do you think, if I go with system 1 (minus sub as you also suggested) and add 604S3 pair as back speakers. Should all 4 speakers always be same or can we mix these ??

Thanks

RS

14. Alex Prosak

It's certainly best to keep the same drivers all the way around but if you're not going to do that, the surround channel is the location to do it. Do you anticipate listening to hi-rez formats (SACD/DVD-A)? If so, I would not put 604's in the back. Actually, I don't think I'd put 604's in the back at all if you'll have 804's in the front. If possible, I'd try to go with a pair of N805's in the rear. If you can't swing those than maybe 705's which will be closer in sound to the 804's.

At some point, when you can afford it, a sub will definitely be necessary.

15. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

I just got my call back from the dealer and he says he will give me a full credit on my last purchase and I can keep the stands. (They were a throw in) I think since I am basically 100 percent HT I should be looking at the HTM7 and the 705s. I have plenty of sub so the towers are really not necessary. I noticed the HTM7 has a much more open and airy sound over the LCR600 imo and the 705s imaged better and were more precise. A tighter set-up over the 602s as good as they are. If I was sure the HTM2 would out perform the HTM7 to a decent extent I would be willing to kick it up a notch. The HTM1 I would think, sure would be nice though.

Maybe I should see what the other in-area dealer has set up in their show-room. Time well spent..

16. CarlosM

CarlosM Stunt Coordinator

haha, steve, already getting over your 602s? [​IMG]

tisk tisk! the bug has bitten!! Let me know how you enjoy them over thr 602s.

17. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Now-Now you be nice Carlos :b.. You know how it is. At first it's great to upgrade and you think you possibly might be there. With-in a few months or so you then say "These things have to go".[​IMG]... I would have been just fine if I would have stayed out of the neighborhood dealers/pusher-mans showroom. I think you should fully understand it's really not my fault?

18. CarlosM

CarlosM Stunt Coordinator

I agree... I was showing my dad some b&w's the other day, (at the dealer), and he asked if we'd like to hear the 700 series. I quickly told him no -- i do NOT want to hear them... theyll make my 600s feel inferior and my wallet shreak and run away...

but do enjoy them, for all the people like me [​IMG]

19. Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic Supporting Actor

Rajiv, were those US prices you mentioned? For prices see http://barrettshometheater.com/produ...=53&action=all

I just listened to 704's today. $1100 each, 705 and HTM7 were $750, and 703 $1500. I think they would also deal a little; he said B&W were mainly retail, but they would match anyone else (not too many competitors though). He went to check on their stock and said he would check on price too. But he never gave the price to me since the maples I wanted were not in stock.

For anyone to comment... I currently have Mission 774s. I wonder how much better I will really hear? They had the B&Ws with a Rotel amp, I have a Sony 5ES. I don't claim to have the most discerning ears.

Also if I did pay for 704s and HTM7, I don't think I can see paying $1500 for a pair of 705s to use as rear surrounds. Would it be that horrible to use a pair of 601s as my rears???

20. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Would it be that horrible to use a pair of 601s as my rears?
    __________________________________________________ ________

When I listened to the 705s, thats exactly what the dealer had set-up for the rears (601s). If I were big into 4-5 channel, 5.1/6.1 music. I wouldn't consider not going with the 705s for the surrounds.

I'm 99.9% movies so although it would not be optimal, I think I could get by/away with the 601s in back. Some would say no way. Having the front sound stage matched is a definite priority and cant be compromised. The rears could be upgraded down the road if felt needed. One step at a time.