What's new

Need advice on a speaker system for $1200ish (1 Viewer)

jeff782

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff
So, I've got a bonus room in my house that is about 30"X15" and my dad is putting a plasma TV and a home theater system in it, and he wants me to do the research on the system. I need it to be able to play music somewhat loud and for it to fill the room. But also for it to have decent sound quality and clarity for playing movies. I've done a little bit of research but come up at a bit of a dead end. From what i've heard getting a package from one company isn't as good as putting together your own speaker system from two or more manufacturers. But even still, do I go with 5.1 or 7.1? do i use ceiling speakers or do I stay away from those? Which speaker's should i go with? The budget is somewhere around $1200, but thats bendable. That also has to include a receiver, and also a sub if necessary. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Dingiswayo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
As far as the speakers go, how much are they for music and how much for movies? If you listen mostly to music I'd say put much more money towards your front set of speakers (since I think most music still sounds better in stereo than artificially split for surround sound) and get by with small monitors for the surrounds. If your music-movie split is about even then I'd put only slightly more towards the front. In either case go for 5.1 since every speaker costs money! And you are definitely going to need a subwoofer for that room.

If you don't mind all of your speakers being centers (which I think pretty much just means that the logos on 4 of them will be sideways) then the 5 PSB Alpha C's for $500 on saturdayaudio.com (above the monitor audio bronze link) are still a good deal. You could put a Dayton sub from Parts Express or a JBL Sub12 with that, they used to have a sub deal with that package but I don't see it anymore. The SVS SBS-01 package is a good deal and comes with a sub, although that sub may be a little small for your room. I read one review of the SBS-01 speakers, however, that said they sound best when played loudly. You can also get that package without the sub and look for a cheaper or bigger sub elsewhere.

As I seem to be suggesting a lot recently, look into used. Find some speakers that you like that are about 30-50% outside of your budget new, and look for them used (for 30-50% less than new). Also someone else suggested going to hi-fi shops and not being afraid to offer 30% less than they're asking, due to the high mark-up on audio equipment.

I'd allocate $300-400 for the receiver but I can't really help you there. Hope that helps.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
With the SVS package you will need to step up to the 12" sub instead of the 10" and even then it might be pushing it for a room that size. The speakers are lower in sensitivity so they do seem to sound better when pushed harder. Unfortunately, that eats up most of the $1200 already so your receiver will determine how much over you go.

Ascend is running some great holiday deals right now also.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks