Need advice on a New/Refurbished DVD player

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Mike_J_D, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Mike_J_D

Mike_J_D Stunt Coordinator

Hey all..........I am in the market for a new DVD player. I pretty sure mine is shooting craps on me. It is a sony, and while it has been good for the last 3 yrs, I want to move away from sony DVD players. So I guess my question is what can I get for about 200 bucks? It doesn't have to be progressive scan because I don't have a TV that can support it. But if there is one available with Progressive scan in that price area then thats just a bonus. I want good video quality and sound quality. Single disc, which for that price thats about all they would be anyway. I know the Onkyo 301 is suppose to be a decent piece. But I have been out of the market for awhile so I'm unsure of other options. Also what about referbs? Anybody have any luck, good or bad, with referb pieces? Don't know what other info I need to give. If I need more just let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i can't give a good recommendation, but can answer a couple of your questions.

1. pretty much all players are now progressive. supposedly the more expensive ones (around your budget) do a "better job" at it.

2. refurbs are (in theory) a good idea. usually, that means the unit has been *individually* inspected, so you should be assured of a quality unit. compare that to a machine which is randomly picked off the assembly line...which may (or may not) have defects.

i know you want to steer away from sony, but they really do make good dvd players. from the reviews i've read, especially in their "in-letter boxing" performance.

3. Mike_J_D

Thanks for the info Ted......

Mike

4. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

If your current DVD player is working OK with your analog(interlaced) TV - I'd just stay with it until you upgrade to an HDTV display or the player dies. You won't get much better until you have a TV that can handle a progressive 480p signal, and the models will only get better and cheaper if you wait until you really need one. Save the money and put it toward a new HDTV that would get you much improved picture quality!

5. Mike_J_D

Thats just it......it isn't playing OK for me. It playes some movies and not others. And it isn't my discs, they are just fine. So it is getting really picky on me. Plus I won't be able to afford a HDTV for a long time yet. They are just too much money. I am going to borrow my friends lens cleaner tonight. So we'll see.

Thanks for the info/advice though

6. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

In that case get a cheap under $100 model to tide you over until you do go HDTV, anything more won't help you on an analog set. Panasonic and JVC are decent brands, better than the Chinese no-name models.