Need Advice on a new HDTV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by geneO, Jul 8, 2001.

1. geneO

geneO Auditioning

Hello Experts,
    I am totally new to HDTVs and HTSs. I have spent at least 20 hours visiting a number of sites and reading discussions on this forum. I've read at least 6 pages so far on HTF on the subject of HDTVs and STBs and audio systems. I've learned a lot and even joined G. Merson's newsletter and titanTV.
    I must admit I know much more now than I did a few days ago. However, I am also having 2nd thoughts about the HDTV I was about to purchase a few days ago.
    Since I have a good bit of Sony equipment, i.e. VAIO computer, Digital 8 camcorder, and VCRs, I had decided to go with a Sony 57" KP57XBR10W HDTV-ready. I can't go much bigger than that due to the size of the room. I was going to get a Dish 6000 receiver and an additional dish for the 61.5 satellite to obtain HD broadcasts. And, possibly the OTA 8VSB for local channels(I already have cable for them now). There are no HD broadcasts in my area at the present time. I also intended to get a progressive scan DVD and a Surround sound system.
    I have learned that most of you seem to favor the Toshiba 50H81 or the 56H81(hope I got that right). Or, one of the Mitsubishi Platinum or Diamond series or the Pioneer series. So, I'm wavering on my Sony now.
    One issue seems to be the lack of two(2)HD component inputs, thus making it impossibe to run both a satellite feed and a DVD feed into the TV. Is this correct? Is it possible to run the DVD into the 6000 receiver (or vice versa)and then run the HD line into the TV?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have been impressed with some of the knowledge displayed on this forum and I will apply your experiences toward my decision. I also understand that some owners simply like a certain brand and feel that's the only way to go. That was a strong factor on my original decision to go with Sony. I will add that I presently own a 45" Mitsubishi which I bought way back in 1985. I've been happy with it, but it's better days are gone and it's time to move to HDTV.
    Thanks in advance for any assistance you may provide.
    GeneO

2. Rob Scott

Rob Scott Extra

Disclaimer: Any feedback from me may be worth what you paid for it, since I don't actually own an RPTV yet. [​IMG] But I'll tell you what I know ...

3. geneO

geneO Auditioning

Rob,
    Thank You so much for the advice!!
    Since I posted that message, I have read numerous other discussions on the subject. I'm still uncertain on which way to spend $3,000-$4,000. I could even go higher if I was certain it would be cost effective.
    I think you're absolutely right on the 6000 receiver. I can't use it to switch the component connections. And, I did run across an external switch box in a message somewhere. But, it was about $350, I believe. I would rather have a HDTV with 2 HD connections.
    At the present time, I don't own a progressive scan DVD, but I will be getting one when I buy the HDTV. So, I'll need the 2 component connections.
    That is good news from the ISF technician on the Sony. I am still leaning very heavy toward Sony. I just like Sony. I've looked at the Pioneer Elite, which does have 2 connections, but it is very expensive compared to Sony/Toshiba/Mitsubishi. I don't know if it's worth the extra bucks. It doesn't seem to be based on what I've read.
    The Sony KP57XBR10W lists for $4,499/$4,999. I've seen both MSRP so I'm not sure which is correct. But, I can get it locally for $3,999 and on the Internet for $3,299. The Pioneer was priced at about $6,800(I think) on the Internet. It would have to have some pretty fantastic features to convince me to buy it at that price.
    Rob, any other advice you could give would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Gene

4. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Gene,
    I'm assuming you're referring to the Elite 610? I got my 510 for $4500 (it really helps to shop around!) and think it's worth every penny! I'm also using the Dish6000 and an Elite DV-37 progressive scan DVD player. The Elite is still the best picture I've seen for the money. I compared it directly with the Diamond Series Mitsubishi and there really was no comparison in picture quality. It was even immediately evident to my wife!
    Anyway, I believe the Elite have 3 sets of component inputs so you'd be really set for awhile. I think if you looked around you could get the 610 for a good $1000-$1500 under the $6800 price you've seen.
    Also, the HDTV demo channel on Dish is stunning. My cousin's boyfriend sat on my sofa with his mouth agape and unable to hold a conversation he was so impressed! Yes, the Elites are expensive but after seeing one I couldn't live with anything less!
    Brian
    ------------------

5. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

6. geneO

geneO Auditioning

Brian,
    Thank you for the info on the Pioneer Elite.
    I went to the site, ExtremeShopper, and they have better prices than I've seen at a number of other places. I noticed they are $100 less on the Sony I was looking at. I will definitely consider the Pioneer Elite. It is still about $1,500 MORE than the Sony. $4,699 vs $3,199 on that site. Do you feel it is worth that much more? What additional features does it have over the Sony? I'm aware of the 2 HD inputs vs the one on the Sony. I now have print-outs of both the TVs, but it is still a bit difficult to make an honest comparison.
    I appreciate the help. You've saved me at least $100, regardless of which one I buy. That site has better prices.
    Gene