Need advice on a "Dirt Cheap" Receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike_Ol, Nov 6, 2001.

1. Mike_Ol

Mike_Ol Auditioning

Hello,
    I'm putting together an inexpensive system for my parents, and I need a cheap receiver. Right now it's only for music, but they would like the ability to go to home theater at some point. Here are the contenders and the prices I have found:
    Denon 1601 $225
    Onkyo 484 $225
    Marantz SR4000 $200
    The Marantz only has DD, but that's not an issue at this point. They want the best sound for music. The receiver will drive a pair of PSB Alpha a/v's and an Energy ES8 Sub.
    Any help would be appreciated!
    Mike

2. James Q Jenkins

James Q Jenkins Stunt Coordinator

I don't think you can lose with any of those choices. If I were buying myself a new dirt cheap system I'd search the net for refurbished models. www.refurbishedstore.com , www.overstock.com, www.harmanaudio.com , www.pioneerdirect.com are good places to look. You'll get a lot more bang for your buck with an older model refurbished.
    ------------------
    -JQJ
    [Edited last by James Q Jenkins on November 07, 2001 at 07:32 AM]

3. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

I was in Costco over the weekend and they have a Pioneer 509S on sale for $200. It does DD and DTS decoding and also offers S-video switching.
    A brand new receiver with these features for $200 is an incredible deal IMO.
    Also, Costco's return policy is excellent, in the event you/your parents weren't satisfied with the receiver.
    Hope this helps.

4. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

You can also check out the Kenwood VR-505 for $199.95 or less.
    DD, DTS and some DSP fields (which your parents may like...who knows) and a ton of extras...6 channel inputs for one.

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

it sounds like the emphasis will be on two-channel? if so, my vote is for the denon. (i have an onkyo)
    when i worked at good guys i was constantly impressed with how strong the denon amps sounded in two-channel mode. imo, they consistently sounded better than any of the other receivers there.
    but i think any of those brands would be great.
    ------------------
    "The ship of death has a new captain." - nosferatu (1922)

6. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

The Technics SA-DX1050 is a decent unit. Sound quality is much better then their lower-end models. It has S-Video support, but only 2-in/1-out. Digital inputs are 2 optical and 1 coax and you can now assign them to specific inputs.
    ------------------
    John Golitsis
    Next Big Thing Electronics