What's new

Need advice on a "Dirt Cheap" Receiver (1 Viewer)

Mike_Ol

Auditioning
Hello,
I'm putting together an inexpensive system for my parents, and I need a cheap receiver. Right now it's only for music, but they would like the ability to go to home theater at some point. Here are the contenders and the prices I have found:
Denon 1601 $225
Onkyo 484 $225
Marantz SR4000 $200
The Marantz only has DD, but that's not an issue at this point. They want the best sound for music. The receiver will drive a pair of PSB Alpha a/v's and an Energy ES8 Sub.
Any help would be appreciated!
Mike

James Q Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think you can lose with any of those choices. If I were buying myself a new dirt cheap system I'd search the net for refurbished models. www.refurbishedstore.com , www.overstock.com www.harmanaudio.com , www.pioneerdirect.com are good places to look. You'll get a lot more bang for your buck with an older model refurbished.
------------------
-JQJ
[Edited last by James Q Jenkins on November 07, 2001 at 07:32 AM]

Vin

Supporting Actor
I was in Costco over the weekend and they have a Pioneer 509S on sale for $200. It does DD and DTS decoding and also offers S-video switching.
A brand new receiver with these features for $200 is an incredible deal IMO.
Also, Costco's return policy is excellent, in the event you/your parents weren't satisfied with the receiver.
Hope this helps.

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
You can also check out the Kenwood VR-505 for $199.95 or less.
DD, DTS and some DSP fields (which your parents may like...who knows) and a ton of extras...6 channel inputs for one.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
it sounds like the emphasis will be on two-channel? if so, my vote is for the denon. (i have an onkyo)
when i worked at good guys i was constantly impressed with how strong the denon amps sounded in two-channel mode. imo, they consistently sounded better than any of the other receivers there.
but i think any of those brands would be great.
------------------
"The ship of death has a new captain." - nosferatu (1922)

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
The Technics SA-DX1050 is a decent unit. Sound quality is much better then their lower-end models. It has S-Video support, but only 2-in/1-out. Digital inputs are 2 optical and 1 coax and you can now assign them to specific inputs.
------------------
John Golitsis
Next Big Thing Electronics

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks