What's new

Need advice on a conflict at work (1 Viewer)

Jeff_P

Stunt Coordinator
I will just give the meat of the story so I dont bore anyone.

Two fellow employess had a heated argument at work. During this shouting match plenty of compliments using the F word were used. While I was in the elevator picking up a delivery with on of them he started to curse me out. I ignored and he kept on saying it. As well as a few other things.

So right before I leave work they get into another cursing match right in front of my bosses door. My boss never stepped in to smooth things out, just let it happen. Well, as I am waiting to leave by the elevator, with my boss standing next to me, the same employee mentioned before, graps my shoulders and says "Do you feel safe now?". I replied "Yes". He walked away saying "Fine, as long as you feel safe". What gets me is my boss still said nothing after hearing that also.

Would I be wrong in approaching my boss tomorrow saying that I don't feel comfortable working with this person behind my back. I feel like I was threatened and my boss just listened to it and let it happen.

Just some company info, we are a small company with 16 employees. The boss I am referring to also owns that company with my other boss/owner who is not in the office right now.

Sorry if the story is vague but the whole story would take me forever to type.

Todd K

Second Unit
OK,

Judging from the reaction of the boss on duty, it may not even benefit you to talk to him. He sounds rather apathetic. Is the absent boss the same way? If not, you can tell him what happened. That way, both bosses can come down on the aggressor and it won't look like you complained, because boss #1 was sitting there watching the whole thing.

I am really concerned at the complete lack of concern boss #1 showed after seeing you being threatened. Is this guy a real pushover or something? He may not be a reliable source of arbitration.

Jeff_P

Stunt Coordinator
(Boss#1)He's not a pushover but this company is very lax in their ways. I also think it was the end of the day and he couldn't be bothered with it.

My other boss would probably brush it aside also since he wasnt around for it. Boss#2(not present) is away for two weeks so by the time he comes back this may get uglier.

What could happen if I refuse to work in the office with this guy? Do they have grounds to fire me? Also understand, I am a very easy going guy that gets along great with all of my collegues. That is why this is blowing my mind. Nevermind being(what I think) threatened.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Ouch. I think you should find a new job, after letting your concerns be known in a polite non-confrontational manner.

The evil journalist in my head is screaming: "Cool! Maybe in a few months it will make the front page of a national newspaper with a high body count!"

But of course it couldn't be that bad.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
If it doesn't bother the boss I would just let it go. If Mr. "Do you feel safe now?" approached me I'd just say "can't we all just get along?" and walk away.

Howie A

Second Unit
Is it at all possible that all he meant when he said, "Do you feel safe now?" is don't think I won't still go off on you just because the boss is standing here?

Or was it a definite threat? If it was no doubt a threat, I would definitely sit down and speak to the Boss that was there and see how he took it and just feel out the situation from there. Ask if he feels comfortable allowing this type of behavior in his office and not addressing it? That type of thing might get his wheels spinning on getting the aggressor out without being to pushy. Or maybe just mention that you have an uncomfortable feeling in the office with this guy around.
Good luck.

Jeff_P

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks everyone. My boss spoke with me this morning. He said he thought about the comment last night and thought it was wrong also. He is just going to get the other persons story and handle the disgruntled employee.

At least he is off today so it give some time for everyone to cool off.

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor
Glad to hear it will be addressed. Hopefully the guy will have calmed down with you by tomorrow. If not, the guy that threatened you sounds like a real punk. I'd tell the boss that I'm gonna kick his ass. (If you can kick his ass) Is he big?

Jeff_P

Stunt Coordinator
Yes Steve, he is huge. I am a big boy and can handle my own but based on this guys psycho personality and his size I fear I would have no chance. Anyway, I would not let it come to blows in the office. If I retaliate then I am no better than him. Worst case scenario if he starts swinging I run like a wimp for my bosses office. He's another big boy.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I say a swiftly thrusted knife in the back of Mr. "Do you feel safe now?" will do the trick :D

If anyone threatened me like that, they'd quickly find themselves on the end of a losing battle!

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
Do you feel safe now?
What the hell is that supposed mean? Is he assuming that you were intimidated by him?

On a day that you're off why not meet him the parking lot after work and ask what you've done to make him act like toward you and what makes him think he can do that.

I work with a difficult person, and to be honest, I'm starting to lose my patience with that person. Bitching and complaining is an integral part of this person's life and to say it's annoying is an understatement.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks