need advice on a cheap player for college

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Matt_H, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Matt_H

Matt_H Stunt Coordinator

I've just arrived at college and I'm going through withdrawl from not being able to watch my dvds(computer broke so that's no longer an option). Anyways I was wondering if any people here have suggestions for a fairly inexspensive region free player. I'm just looking for something that i could get at wal-mart,best buy, or target(only stores in the area) and wouldn't make me cringe if somebody breaks it(I'm in college and things happen).
    I'm looking for something that's easily hackable for region free play,does pal to ntsc conversion, and might last me a year or two. Any help on this is greatly appreciated and thanks for at least reading.

2. Tory

Tory -The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

Tory
    Phillips DVP642 for around 75 dollars at Wal-Mart and Target among other places. It converts PAL to NTSC perfectly, IMO, or at least not noticeable on my 32 inch flatscreen Sony Wega, not a great TV but well enough.

To make it Region free, open the tray, do this with the tray open, press 7,8,9,ok,0 on your remote and the player will be Region free forever, you will see a 0 on the screen. There may be some DVDs that do not play on Region free players, I have never run into any of these and I have a rather large collection of DVDs but this may be implemented more in the future. If you do run into this type of DVD, do the same remote code but replace 0 with the Region of the DVD, switch back for other use.

3. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

Cyberhome 300
    $35-40 at Best Buy.
    I currently use it as my main player.
    Hack:
    Open drawer
    close drawer
    press: Menu, 1, 9
    this brings up the region menu, choose 0 and you're good to go.

I love it.

4. Jon B NY

Jon B NY Stunt Coordinator

The Cyberhome stretches the image on PAL discs though.

A DVD player I HIGHLY reccomend is the Magnavox MDV455. Got it for 55 in Best Buy...it's EXCELLENT. Flawless conversion from NTSC to PAL. You'll probably have to find this DVD player online now because it was bought almsot a year ago and I've seen a newer model in my Best By recently. Hunt for it though, it's worth it!

5. richardWI

richardWI Second Unit

Does it do PAL widescreen and all that?

woops, didn chekc the date on the post, sorry

6. Jon B NY

I vote Magavox MDV455 also. Hell, I went out and bought a back up around 6 months ago. That's how good that DVD player is. Ebay it. Best Buy/Circuit City only sell the MDV456 now, which you cannot hack.

7. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

DVD Beaver has a Malata for around $85 thats supposed to be top-class for the $$-plus youll be supporting a great guy/site!

8. Jon B NY

Wow...I didn't even notice that I responded to myself in this thread.

9. Irina

Irina Second Unit

I would like to warn readers to stay away from cheap (both price and quality) Coby DVD-207 Compact DVD Player. The quality of playback is awful and, most importantly, it SCRATCHES DVDs. Do not waste your money!