What's new

Need advice on ~$500 HT speaker setup (1 Viewer)

Johnny>BU

Auditioning
Hey Guys,
It seems that most of the threads running around here are for equipment my budget can't touch. I recently bought a Harman & Kardon AVR125 receiver from CC for $292 (after pricematch from Fry's). I am looking for an affordable ~$500 5.1 speaker setup to pair it with.

This will be used 60/40 movies/music. My only real requirement (the wife's actually) is that it needs to be fairly small.

I have been looking at the JBL NSP1II and H&K HKTS12 packages. The JBL one doesn't come with a sub. Maybe ya'll can recommend a ~$250 sub to go with it?

I know the local CC sells Polk Audio and they have a deal where if you buy the speakers you get a free sub. Maybe that's worth looking into?

I appreciate any advice, links or rants :) Thanks!

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit
The Energy Take 5.2 is something to consider. You might be able to get that plus a sub for $500. I think its the best small speaker package available. Another option is Home Theater Direct speakers (www.htdaudio.com), they have speakers to match your budget but I dont know much about them.

Johnny>BU

Auditioning
Well I just went and auditioned some speakers. I listened to some Infinity HTS20's for $599, some Polk Audio's (not sure the model) for $599, some Energy 5+2's for $699 and some Onkyo HTR500's for $249.

My favorite by far was the Onkyo's. IMO they sounded far better than any of the others. The only thing that they have going against them is their size.

If I remember correctly there is a known defect in the sub when playing 5.1 channel audio or something? Anyone know anything about this?

Thank you for your input Andrew, it is greatly appreciated.

Jeremy:L

Agent
The defect was in the Onkyo receiver that comes in the HTS650 package (which includes those speakers). The subwoofer has no problems.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
The NSP-1's are great and can be found cheap from ebay seller: harmanaudio.

Also from the same seller(and same budget), you can get an Infinity IL100s or IL120s. They're excellent subs, especially for what they're going for on ebay. Very clean and good output down to 25hz. They even include an onboard single band parametric eq. It'll definitely blow away the HTIB subs. They look great too.

RussB

Auditioning
Johnny, I have a H/K AVR 225 and went with the JBL NSP1 package. It sounds great when mated with a good sub. I auditioned the Infinitys and the Polks and much prefered the JBL.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Hi Johnny, Great options so far but one more option I think worth considering is to go with a speaker package minus the sub and then have Brian Bunge of "Rutledge Audio" a respected member here on the Forum design and build you the sub. Allot of sub/bass for your money and very well built. I can send you pics if you would like to take a look?:emoji_thumbsup:

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
I just picked up the NSP1 II set on eBay for $219 shipped. Definitely an incredible set for the little money you pay.
As for a good cheap sub, I'm gonna be picking up a Sony SA-WM40 from Sears for $130 on clearance. Everybody around here raves about it.

Ryan-Stone

Stunt Coordinator
i have the NSP1 set. i think its great. cheap too. i am ysing them with a JBL PB12 subwoofer. i think its a great sub too. you cant get it at a resonable price at www.jandr.com

Debbie_L

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Johnny,

I agree with you, the Onkyo setup sounds good, especially for the $$$, but their size can be a drawback when small size is a necessity. Have you heard the Acoustic Research HC6 system? I haven't, so can't comment from experience, but it is small and has gotten some pretty good reviews and one GREAT review (can't remember where -- maybe AV Guide?). However, I have also read a couple of not-so-enthusiastic reviews of the HC6 as well -- as always, let YOUR ears be your guide. In terms of looks, the HC6s are gorgeous -- high gloss piano black finish that looks very expensive. Right now, etronics has a fantastic price on the HC6 5.1 system: $364.99 Etronics also has the Harman Kardon HKTS10 5.1 system for $299.99 and the JBL NSP1 set for $249.99 or $439.99 w/PB10 sub. If you can listen to all of them locally, I would think at least one of these set-ups would work well for you.

Good luck, enjoy the search, and let us all know what you decide,

Debbie

Johnny>BU

Auditioning
Wow, thank you all for the input... very much appreciated.

Does anyone know of any B&W's that stock the NSP1 or NSP1II speakers? I checked Good guys, Best Buy & CC but no luck.

What is the difference between the NSP1 and NSP1II's?

$219 shipped sounds like a smokin' deal. Was that new? I tried harmanaudio and they want more than Etronics. Which, bye the way, if you buy the NSP1II & PB10 separate they are cheaper than buying them in the package.

How does the Sony SA-WM40 sub stack up against the PB10 & PB12's?

Thank you all so much :)

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
For more JBL NSP1 (and S--Series) Speaker INFO & Reviews w/links, see my web page Why you should add JBL N & S Series to your audition list!.

NOTE: Because my website is 'FREE', hosted by GeoCities, if too many HT enthusiasts visit, GeoCities will shut it down for an hour or so because it exceeded the specified 'freebie' Data Transfer Rate. Sorry about that, just bookmark it and visit my site an hour later or when everyone has gone to bed!

Phil

Johnny>BU

Auditioning
Great, thanks for the info. I will definitely be checking those out before I buy.

As for a sub, how does the Sony SA-WM40 stack up against the PB10 & PB12's?

Is there a "great" $150 sub to be had or is this one of those things that you can't skimp on?

Do the NSP1's sound as good as the HTR500's? (i haven't heard them remember?) I feel a bit nervous about spending $500 on a setup I haven't heard and can't take back.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks