What's new

Need advice on 34" HDTV Sets (1 Viewer)

CoreyH

Stunt Coordinator
Hey All,

I'm in the market for a new HDTV and, due to room constraints, have narrowed it down to a 34" direct view set.

I'd love to get all your recommendations on the various sets out there.

Right now, I am considering the Panasonic Tau CT-34WX50,
The Sony KV-34XBR800, and the new Toshiba 34HD82.

The factors affecting my purchase are:
#1 The Toshiba is the cheapest, and I think is the best value for the money, but I've heard it won't be available for purchase until december

#2 The Panasonic is similar in cost to the Toshiba, with similar value, but doesn't include a DVI input

#3 The Sony is expensive, but nice. Is it really worth the money?

Are there any other sets I should be considering?

What would you guys do? I could really use your advice and input to help with my dilemma.

Thanks in advance,

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I spent a lot of time comparing these sets a couple of months ago. I can’t remember the Toshiba model number, so it probably was not have the model you cite as new.

I thought that the Panasonic and Sony were very close, to the point that I considered one the best one day and the other the best the next day. I thought that the Toshiba was a close second.

At the time I was comparing, the Panasonic and Sony prices were very close. I bought the Sony, but to be very honest, if I had chosen another day, I might have gone with the Panasonic.

IMO, you will be happy with any of the choices you make.

As for DVI, I don’t consider it a big deal. The new STBs (at least Samsung and Sony) have a DVI output, but I have no information if that translates into a better picture. I do know that they cost ~$100 more than the Hughes E86 without the DVI port.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
The toshiba has been out for a little while now and toshiba also has the 34HDX82 which is their cinema series model with some added features. I am also considering these two sets. The pani is out because of the DVI thing. It probably won't matter but if you plan on having the set for a long time it's better to be safe then sorry. Anyway the sony is bigger at about 7" wider so keep that in mind if you have to fit it into a TV unit. After talking with several people and looking at each extensively both will provide quite good pictures out of the box. With minor tweaking you probably won't be able to tell the difference. If you want to go into deep calibration, the sony will outdo the toshiba. The sony has better convergence regesters in the service menu according to Mr. Bob. If you won't be adjusting the convergence, you can probably go with either one and be equally happy. Both will have geometry issue so count on fixing that. When all is said and done, I would get the sony, but that's just my opinion. I may end up getting the Tosh for the sole fact that my unit won't fit the sony. I am thinking of selling my TV unit though and building a new one just so I can get the sony.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks