What's new

Need advice. JVC LCOS or Samsung DLP (1 Viewer)

ChipJD

Auditioning
I have reviewed all the threads, read the website info, and looked at both sets from the big box stores to a high end store. I cannot makeup my mind. Both have excellent pictures. I would really like to hear from the folks that deal with both sets on a daily basis. So, I guess my questions are:

* Is one technology more reliable than another ?

* Is one set easier to setup via the Joe Kane DVD ?

* Are 2 HDMI inputs necessary ?

Thanks for all the replies.

Chip

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
1-DLP sets use a high rpm color wheel to produce the color, it's synched with floppy micromirrors on the single chip. Some folks see a "rainbow" effect due to this. DILA sets use 3 separate chips, one for each color, no color wheel, no rainbow effect. Samsung dlps have been less reliable than other makes of late. Overall JVC is a more reliable brand than Samsung.

2-should be about the same

3-in my experience the more kinds of inputs and the more of each kind the better.

In the case of HDMI, 2 is definitely better than one. You'll need one for a cable or satellite box if you want to have interactive channel guides or plan to have an HD DVR, and another for HD-DVD/BluRay player when they become available.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Dila does not have have the rainbow effect...however I have seen many that are not aligned correctly, so they have convergence error.

On the newer DLPs, the rainbow effect is pretty much a non issue.

Regards

Gregg

Rick Westfall

Stunt Coordinator
Gregg,

"Newer DLP's". Since I have seen the rainbow effect in the Mits DLP's, I'm wondering if I should give the technology another chance. Could you save us some time and direct us to a few models to look at in the $2200 range (about what I can get the JVC delivered to the door for).

Thanks
Rick

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Samsung hlp5067, call TV Authority.com and speak with Ryan, Jason, Kirk, or Neil. Please say Gregg Loewen / Hometheaterforum referred you for the best pricing.

Just because you can see the rainbow doesnt mean that you should not purchase a product. perhaps i am naive on this point. ?????? it is when rainbows become very bothersome / cause head aches is when I say stay away from the technology.

Best wieshes

Gregg

Rick Westfall

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks. As I'm looking at the website, I'm not seeing HLP but I am seeing HLR models. What is the difference?

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
And now, for the ever hair raising results of the tests by Consumer Reports in the November 2005 tests of microdisplay RPTV sets.

Top rated and recommended: Sharp 56DR650. Only model tested with excellent picture quality with HD programming. DLP, $2,500.

Rated 4th and recommended: JVC HD-61Z886. 61 inch HD-ILA, rated very good with HD programming. DILA, $2,800.

Rated 5th and not a "quick pick", the Samsung HL-R5067W. Rated only good in HD picture quality. DLP, Price $2,700.

Note: Prices will vary, especially with particular providers and incentives from mentioning affiliation with certain organizations/individuals.

FWIW, TVA has the top rated Sharp on sale (without incentives for affiliation) for $1,945.

Mike Milillo

Stunt Coordinator
I was looking into these JVC lcos sets as well. I was origninally thinking DLP though. I hear these sets are very bright, some may say too bright, is there any truth in this?

What are the negatives of the JVC lcos sets?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I am a fan of CRT smoothness, so I prefer the LCOS stuff. In my experience so far, my reference digitals are 1080p LCOS projectors, they overall throw the most CRT-like image which is my ultimate reference, other than film, or fantasy theory.

Brightness will vary based on model design. If it is too bright for a dark viewing room, you can always install an ND filter in the display to reduce the light output accordingly.

As mentioned, LCOS can suffer from convergence error, you will want to check for that immediately when you get your set to make sure you don't need to swap it out as it is not really adjustable except in shifting the image location on the panel around. LCOS may have lower on/off CR than DLP, as well as slightly lower ANSI CR. However, IMO the lcos smoothness and lack of RBE are what drive my preference for 1080LCOS machines at the moment. I have not spent time with 1080p DMD machines, but that's not really in consideration here, I expect those in FP variations to be strong contenders for my "reference" displays.

Mike Milillo

Stunt Coordinator

Mike Milillo

Stunt Coordinator
I will be playing many dvds, watching high def, and standard def. As well as playing xbox and gamecube games on it.

On these sets, is rainbow and burn in a non issue?

How are the black levels on these sets?

thanks for your help

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
rainbow and burn-in are not concerns on LCOS displays. "Black level" is defined by the on/off contrast capability in what most people mean when they say black level capability.

Mike Milillo

Stunt Coordinator
oh, ok. Some people have said the brightness is too much, especially in a dark room. How do you feel about this?

Also, somebody told me that, this set picks up ambient light in a lit room, and it distorts the set. Mind you, this person worked at harvey's, and they didn't sell any lcos sets

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
all RP displays are pretty good at 'rejecting' ambient light. As to the brightness of the actual display, I do not know you'd need to look at the specs for the display. You can always install an ND filter if it's too bright, to achieve proper light output for dim viewing. With CRTs you can(and should) just reduce the white level.

John Whittle

Stunt Coordinator

The JVC 1080p machines now have a iris for the various modes which will cut brightness. The Sony version of lcos also has an iris.

This technique addresses the high brightness complaint, but the ultimate test of any display is when it's in your room with your input signals--at that point all the reference specs are just information. What looks best to you is what is best for you.

Mike Milillo

Stunt Coordinator
I was at tweeters, and they don't carry the JVC sets, nor does harveys. The only place I have been that had them was BB and CC. They looked horrible there, but the only sets that look good there are the plasmas. Even the Samsung DLP's didn't look that great there, but they did look great at tweeter.

I am yet to see a JVC set in a place where they actually set em up to look good.

Any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks